3 Weeks Out - Going Crazy

BurberryPlaid
on 10/20/14 12:52 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

Hi Everyone,

I am 3 weeks out today....down 21 pounds since surgery & 39 from when I started exploring surgery in June. 

Everything has been going fairly well but I am starting to have a few concerns. Maybe I am going crazy but I need to know if I'm normal or if I should be reaching out to my care team. 

My main concern is that I still have soreness around and in between where my two largest incisions are. (above my belly button to the left and right) It's not painful per se, and if I sit or walk it doesn't hurt...it's just sore. Is this normal at 3 weeks out still? 

Also, I started soft foods last Wednesday after following up with my surgeon's PA and NUT. I can only eat 1 ounce or 1/4c of food at a time. From what I read this is normal but I am starting to get frustrated because I'm having trouble nearing my protein goals. I really can't eat more than 3 times per day & I have to have 2 shakes to get my protein in. Is it okay to have 1 "real food" meal and 2 shakes? When were you able to eat more real food to meet your protein goals? 

I swore I wouldn't have buyer's remorse but I am feeling like I am never going to be normal. I'm also worried something is going to go wrong since everything has been going so well. 

Words of wisdom welcome!

- Steph Consult W 311 / SW 293 / Current W 267/ GW 165-160 HT: 5'9"

jenn1469
on 10/20/14 1:01 am

I'm at 4 months and I eat one meal like 2.3 oz and 2 shakes a day to get in my protein

Jennifer

BurberryPlaid
on 10/20/14 2:39 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

Thanks...that makes me feel better.

civilmomma
on 10/20/14 1:57 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I was told not to worry about protein goals until I was on "normal" foods - so around the 1.5 months mark I was supposed to start working towards my protein goals - I didn't really get there on a daily basis until 2+ months.

My plan did not include lots of shakes post op.  They want to focus on real food for life.  it is 3 meals, no food snacks, but skim milk was OK and encouraged for getting to protein goals used as a beverage between meal times.  I found a milk brand that was lower carb and double protein and that was my go-to for hitting my goals.

Your incisions couls still be sensitive.  My 2 biggest ones didn't heal until about 4 weeks out b/c I was ejecting the stitches instead of then dissolving like they should.  Once the nurse pulled out the offending chunks of thread at my 1 month follow up - things healed up nicely.

it is worth calling and telling your doc/nurse about the incision discomfort...it could be a sign of infection...or it is just normal healing.  Let the experts decide.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

BurberryPlaid
on 10/20/14 2:38 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

Thank you...I did see the PA last week & she said everything was great...I'm just a worrier. I'll also reach out to my NUT for advice on how to proceed with eating. I'm still at home & sleeping later than I would normally so my schedule for eating is not what it will be once I go back next week. I might try to get up a little earlier and see if I can set up a schedule like what I'll follow when back to work.

Tracy D.
on 10/20/14 2:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

At 3 weeks you haven't healed internally yet so yes, the soreness you are feeling is completely normal.   And it will probably be weeks (maybe several months) before you can eat enough real food to get all your protein in.  My husband is 6 months out and still has to do 1 shake a day.  Again, perfectly normal.  

It's really hard the first few months because it seems like surgery sucks all the enjoyment out of eating and that you will never, ever enjoy eating again.  I promise that will NOT be the case forever :-)  You WILL be normal, you WILL have to rein in your eating eventually because you will want to eat too much, and you WILL feel pretty normal.  

And quit looking for trouble...be grateful and thankful that your recovery is going so smoothly.   Congratulations on making this choice! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

BurberryPlaid
on 10/20/14 2:34 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

LOL - I'm a worrier but I am trying! My psych can confirm this. Yes...I am grateful everything has gone so well.

Thank you for re-assuring me...I needed it! =)

Luvmygs
on 10/20/14 3:54 am
VSG on 12/04/14

When I had my consultation with my surgeon, she told me it will take weeks for the swollen stomach to heal. You will know when it starts to heal with the capacity of the sleeve will increase, be patient. I think every one is different, but my friend who also had the sleeve had to wait a little longer to have soft foods. But she eventually got there and so will you.

BurberryPlaid
on 10/20/14 4:36 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

Thank you...helps me feel better that I'm "normal". LOL

Wildnwonderful
on 10/20/14 8:54 am

GNC sells sugar free protein pudding. I haven't tried it yet but, it has a lid on it. Maybe you could eat a bite of that a couple times a day and maybe help get the protein in. They also sell those ISOPURE drinks that have 40 grams of protein per bottle. A little pricey but, it is worth it if it helps.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views