New Multivitamin!

Fatbill
on 1/2/15 11:23 am

so what are the vitamins we need?

Grim_Traveller
on 1/2/15 12:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The ASMBS recommends 200% of the daily value for vitamins and minerals, avoiding time release, enteric coated, children's and other incomplete vitamins. See Table 5 here:

http://asmbs.org/resources/integrated-health-nutritional-gui delines

Here is OH's official post on the subject:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/5272203/Guidelines-from -the-American-Society-of-Metabolic-and/

If you aren't sure, compare labels. See what is present, and what is missing. Many don't have key components, such as copper and selenium. Some will list 100% of all the vitamins you want, so you will need two per day. Another brand will list only 25, 37, or 50% of many things, so you would need more than two to get to 200%. 

There's a lot more to it, but that's a start, at least as far as the basic multi goes.

Some surgeon's offices sell vitamins. Beware advice from anyone looking to make a profit. Some say Flintstones or other children's vitamins are ok, even though they don't meet the standard. They figure that getting people to take crappy vitamins is better than none at all. But there's no need to settle for crappy when there are great, inexpensive alternatives widely available.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/2/15 2:52 pm - OH

I don't know about the vitamin powder becasue I didn't look at multivitamin products, but I was just at Costco for some Calcium Citrate tablets ($10 for a giant bottle!) and I looked at all of their calcium options and none of the chews they had at ours was calcium citrate.  I have no idea what kind of individual wrapper they had since I didn't buy them, but I would encourage you to double check to be sure it is calcium citrate. One of the items I looked at had a name that made it sound like it would be citrate but it was carbonate according to the ingredients.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 1/2/15 4:05 pm - OH

If it is a chew and it is at Costco, it is calcium carbonate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Fatbill
on 1/2/15 7:55 pm, edited 1/2/15 7:55 pm

I found these https://www1.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/group/110851/

would these be good to take? they are supposed to be for VSG  and chewy.

I went to gnc and got a liquid vitamin called balanced essentials (tasted like crap) but I did notice a difference in energy levels.I also tried centrum liquid vitamins but it went fast and was 6% alcohol (no wonder I liked it)

I just want to take the right thing I don't want to waste money or my health on experimenting.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/3/15 11:13 am - OH

You do NOT need any special "bariatric" Vitamin, especially since with the sleeve you don't have any malabsorption issues! These are fine, but are quite pricey compared to Centrum chewables (which are about 1/3 the price of the BA chewables).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 116 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 346 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 397 views