Food / Recipes -- what are some of your favorites?

Stacy_WLS
on 2/11/15 11:56 pm

I have been in a bit of a rut lately with food -- eating the same things week after week.  I have been thinking about what things I can bring back into the diet or new recipes to incorporate.  I thought I would throw this out there and see what some of your favorites are?  

Here are some of my current favorites:

• roasted veggies (brussel sprouts, broccoli, sweet potatoes -- anything)
  • rotisserie chicken (easy peasy protein)
  • stir fry / curry

Some of my past favorites that I should probably revisit are:

• crack slaw
  • slow cooker buffalo chicken
  • taco salad
  • crustless quiches

Help me spice up my life -- what are your favorites?

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

angie M.
on 2/11/15 11:59 pm, edited 2/12/15 12:26 am - TX
VSG on 12/02/13

We eat a LOT of meatballs (or sliders) - teriyaki chicken meatball, Mexican meatballs, Italian meatballs, greek meatballs...

We also LOVE Mexican food, so we make taco salads - shredded chicken, ground turkey, pork, beef...

And stuffed chicken breasts - spinach/cheese, prosciutto/cheese, jalapeno/cheese, etc...

I'm always checking out pinterest for recipes I can modify to fit our WLS lifestyle :)

VSG: 12/2/13    HW: 268  SW: 239  GW: 145 

mmsmom
on 2/12/15 12:07 am - Woburn, MA

I'm obsessed with steel cut oats.  In fact sometimes I snack on a bowl at night (weird, I know).

I bring 4 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk, some cinnamon and splash of vanilla to a boil (after dinner)

add in 1 c steel cut oats and cook for about 2-3 minutes on high heat

Turn if off and leave it there for 1-2 hours

Put away in frig and portion out during the week for an easy delicious, healthy breakfast

It does need some sweetener - like truvia when you eat it  

I also am obsessed with Siggi's icelandic yogurt.  It's super thick, lowest sugar to protein ratio and very healthy...did i mention it's so creamy and delicious.  Also very heavy and filling.

VSG on 04/28/2014

momsy55
on 2/12/15 12:28 am - ME

Hi Stacy,  Here are some more to add to other recipes:

-chili - beef, chicken, turkey or a combo, with some beans

-meatloafs - I use very little bread crumbs or oats to bind.

-veggie lasagna, using lengthwise slices of eggplant and/or zucchini in place of the noodles

-eggplant, brushed with olive oil and each slice dusted with about 1/2 tsp fine bread crumbs (you can skip the breadcrumbs if this is a trigger for you), then stuffed and rolled with a ricotta cheese, egg, parmesian, parsley, and pepper mixture, then baked

-lowfat chicken alfredo (minus the fettucine noodles that the family eats) - sauce made with reduced fat cream cheese, skim milk, parmesian, garlic , parsley and pepper

-chef salads - I usually use cooked chicken breast, though you can use whatever meat you like, with hard boiled aggs and cheeses - I try for reduced fat versions or lower fat types like mozzarella

-breakfast for supper - omelets/frittatas with any combo of veggies you like.  I use reduced fat cheeses - whatever strikes my fancy

-we also do taco salads, burritos and fajitas.  I use low calorie/low carb tortillas for the burritos and fajitas.  We've also been making homemade guacamole lately, as a garnish - very yummy!

Hope these ideas inspire you!  There are also some good WLS cookbooks out their with some yummy low carb recipes.  Good luck!  Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

wyo_sarah
on 2/12/15 12:53 am

I make a jalapeno popper dip that I then use in eggs or on meats.  It is a block of cream cheese, some diced roasted jalapenos (I don't like peppers out of a jar, so I buy them fresh and roast in the oven), a handful of shredded cheese and a few slices of cut up bacon.  I mix it all together.  If I'm serving as a dip, I put it in the oven until it is warm and creamy and serve with chips or crackers.  For me, I put it in a scrambled egg while it cooks, or on top of meat to make it a bit more interesting.

Another favorite is pot roast in the crock pot.  I just sear a roast, put it in the crock pot with some beef broth, a little soy sauce, ketchup, Worchestershire sauce, and let it cook on low all day.  Then, I shred the beef and put the juice in my gravy separator to get the grease off, then pour the sauce back over the meat so it is nice and moist.  My husband eats it as a sandwich, I just eat it with a little bit of cheese.

Stacy_WLS
on 2/12/15 1:14 am, edited 2/12/15 1:15 am

thanks guys!  

meatloafs / meatballs -- I need these again!

and the Italian ricotta / eggplant stuff sounds great.

yogurt -- I am obsessed and my tummy needs the probiotics.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Gwen M.
on 2/12/15 1:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Here are things I've made recently that have been delicious

lasagna soup
slow cooker parmesan chicken, pasta for the guys
tandoori chickenindian potatoes with peas
stuffed salmon with sriracha cream sauce, rice
butter poached tilapia, rice
cod with lemon caper cream sauce, rice
tilapia piccata
chicken sancoche

slow cooker ginger orange chicken
waikiki meatballs, rice

sloppy joes, rolls for guys, caesar salad
loaded baked potato soup (extra bacon)
slow cooker hungarian goulash, egg noodles

grilled steaks, acorn squash rings, roasted potatoes
sweet and sour beef cubes, rice, broccoli
chicken stir fry, veggies, rice
lamb burgerstzatziki, pita, red onion, tomatoes
sloppy joes, buns, salad

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/12/15 4:42 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Gwen, you always have the best list of recipes on OH.  Please come to my house and cook for me 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Gwen M.
on 2/12/15 5:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Give me ahi, and it's a deal ;)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/12/15 5:30 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Deal!  

ahi

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views