I have a class to go to???

Lindseydean1992
on 8/16/15 5:14 pm

So at the place where I will be getting my surgery I have a class to go to. I'm not exactly what kind of class it is. I know its something about telling us about different procedures but if anybody else has had to take these classes, I would like to know exactly what they discuss there. 

Thanks!!

murphyjo
on 8/16/15 5:48 pm

I was required to take 2 classes. The first one is info on the different surgeries. DS, RNY, and VSG.  The second class was a "nutrition class" but was basically post op info. Just gotta jump through the hoops!

Neesie57
on 8/16/15 5:53 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I had to go to an introductory presentation, at least 2 support group meetings, see a psychiatrist, take one pre-op nutrition class, one behavior modification class, then 3 post surgery nutrition classes.  They really want to make sure you are fully informed before having surgery.

Lindseydean1992
on 8/16/15 5:57 pm

Sounds like a lot to go thru before surgery :(

WereYorkie
on 8/16/15 6:43 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Do you realize that people who don't do this stuff have a high failure rate? You wouldn't believe how many I've seen come online almost directly out of surgery and ask, "What can I eat?" 

Nutritional classes are so important. Recognizing that a fast food lifestyle will no longer work and that you have to consciously make healthier decisions. 

Look at it this way... do you want long term success? This type of surgery isn't a magic bullet. A LOT of work needs to happen before and after (both physically and mentally) in order for you to succeed in the long term. 

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

Lindseydean1992
on 8/17/15 11:01 am

You are absolutely right. I do want this to be long term and I will have to cut fast food and sweets from my diet altogether!! It will be difficult but I have to do it if I wanna see a difference and keep it. I love exercise but I also love to eat :( I will need all the help I can if I wanna break this habit!! It will be dificult tho

Donna L.
on 8/16/15 7:41 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

People who have had all the surgeries here have said the surgery is often the easy part.  The mental stuff... now, that's tough.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Lindseydean1992
on 8/17/15 11:03 am

Yeah it TOTALLY is!!! Ive grazed and grazed all my life and now I will have to stop that. It wont be easy but I am determined.

psychoticparrot
on 8/17/15 8:57 am

If you're committed to having sleeve surgery, then when your medical team says, "Attend these meetings," you say, "SIR yes SIR!" Both your surgeon and your insurance will have mandatory meeting requirements regarding nutrition, exercise, surgery information, psychological review, etc. If you're not willing to exert yourself to meet these requirements, you're not ready for the surgery yet.

I found that I knew most of the information already but was surprised at the occasional gems that turned up that I had not known before. I went into the meetings looking for those gems and was rarely disappointed. My husband is now going through the pre-approval process, and I attend his sessions with him because it never hurts to be reminded of important details that may have slipped through the cracks.

Approach the meetings with a positive attitude. There's always something more to learn.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Gwen M.
on 8/17/15 3:06 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Better to get the information before surgery than be lost and confused after surgery!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views