A week out and going crazy!!!

cpreston1023
on 4/19/16 7:51 pm
VSG on 04/11/16

I just had my VSG on 4.11.16. I am a week out and I am going crazy. This liquid diet is the hardest thing ever. I feel weak, I try to go out and do things but get tired really quickly. I have been drinking Premier Protein, chicken and beef broth, Crystal Light and jello. 

Does anyone have any other ideas of what we can eat during this phase for am I just stuck? How long does the weakness last?

Thank you for any guidance :)

Carley

luvmypuggies
on 4/19/16 10:40 pm

Congrats on your surgery!  It sounds to me like the key here is to remember that your body has been through major surgery and needs rest to recover, regardless of how good you feel.  It has a ton of healing to do, so taking it easy is really important.

After the first week, most people graduate to "full liquids" instead of clear liquids, so if that's how your doctor's plan works, you'll be able to add to your menu.  You seem to be doing everything right (as long as you're drinking enough) - you just need to take it easy for at least a few more days and likely another week or two, so don't try to do too much.

There is a blog (and poster on this board) called EggFace, which is a super resource for food choices, both early on post-op and later as well.  Hang in there!

Neesie57
on 4/20/16 1:51 am
VSG on 08/04/15

you're tired because you just had major surgery, not because of your diet.  Please give yourself time to heal before going out and doing too much.  The first week, I was pretty house bound, and didn't get out until at least day 7 or 8.  I didn't drive for 9 days, because I was still on some pain meds.

Your weakness won't last and you should start feeling much better in the next week or so.  

I was on the liquid diet for 2 weeks after surgery, and it was all I could do to get 4 shakes in me a day.  Anything extra would have put me over the edge.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Kris R.
on 4/20/16 5:31 am - Walworth, NY

I agree with both posts above - you're healing, you shouldn't be going out and doing too much.  A walk around the house, maybe down the street then back in the chair.  Make sure you're drinking slowly and getting enough water.  Hang in there - Once you get to the tuna fish stage, you'll wish you were back on clear liquids :)

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

Msjones514
on 4/20/16 11:38 am
VSG on 03/31/16

I will be in tuna fish stage as of tomorrow. You just scared me. What happens in tuna fish stage???

On my way back to being me. 

Kris R.
on 4/20/16 11:47 am - Walworth, NY

Don't be scared, it is just that you eat enough tuna to last a lifetime.  I bought the 3oz packages - popped them open and ate right out of the container.  I would add light mayo to help choke it down and even crush up cucumbers to help get it moist.  So don't be scared, just note, you'll hate that phase in about a week too.  I quiver when all i have for lunch is tuna now and i'm only 2.5 months out.  scrambled eggs were better for me but even those didn't taste right.  natures way of assisting with portion control. 

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

Allie16
on 4/20/16 5:53 am
VSG on 04/14/16

I had mine on 4-14 and I am right there with you! Praying that when I see my surgeon/nut on Friday that I get to progress a little bit. I am doing about the same thing you are liquid wise. Its hard. Hang in there!

ssmedlin
on 4/22/16 2:12 pm
VSG on 04/15/16 with

Yeah this part of it sucks. I had my VSG on 4.15.16. I'm so sick to death of drinking but I'm also scared that when I'm in the semisolid stage and I have to actually swallow something will go wrong. So I'm in between right now. I want to get to semisolids but afraid. I have about 1 more week of this drinking everything. 

cpreston1023
on 4/25/16 2:24 pm
VSG on 04/11/16

Congrats on your surgery!!!

Today (4.25) is my first day of soft proteins stage - I got through the liquid only stage - WOO! When you get to the semisolid stage just remember tiny bites, and take your time, let your stomach get used to having solids again. I am still learning that as well! 

ssmedlin
on 4/25/16 2:43 pm
VSG on 04/15/16 with

Cool, so what semisolids are you having? Or have tried? How is it going as far as pain and feeling full? I'm really nervous about this coming Friday (4.29) when I can have semisolids. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views