Concerned Friend

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/20/16 1:51 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Affordable, available, well-tolerated... and nutritionally insufficient. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 7/20/16 2:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 20, 2016 at 7:50 PM Pacific Time, jesuiscrystal wrote:

When did anyone ever say that the kiddie vitamins were good long term? 

Chewable adult vitamins (that are affordable) are hard to find, if not impossible. Gummies don't have iron. Flintstones are affordable, widely available, and well tolerated. 

centrum has a chewable vitamin,two flavors! That are available in every drugstore and supermarket in America.  

Certainly not impossible,if you know what you are doing.

Valerie G.
on 7/21/16 6:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Centrum has chewables, and they're about as easy to find as milk at a grocery store.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/20/16 1:49 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

"Normal" doesn't mean "correct."

Let's compare the ASMBS guidelines against Flintstones vitamins.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NHPOD9
on 7/20/16 2:59 pm

I love you. This is wonderful!

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/20/16 4:50 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Help me out here, Julie, since yanno, math is more your thing.

If you take two Flintstone vitamins, does that mean you're getting the RDA for B3, B5, B6, Magnesium and Potassium?  Because from what I remember in school 100 years ago, when you multiply something by ZERO it still equals ZERO.  Since Flintstone vitamins have ZERO of these, does it mean you're getting ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THEM?

Oh.  Dear. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/20/16 5:04 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

So luv science & facts. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Oneillch
on 7/20/16 4:26 pm, edited 7/20/16 9:30 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Yes, the Flintstone vitamins are formulated for children & that's why you take a double dose along with your Calcium with D. For those of us that could not tolerate other chewables after surgery, it was a short term fix. Eventually you graduate to the big kid kind! :)

TruSe
on 7/21/16 10:33 am

My friend is my buisness. Her doctors sent her home with minimal post op directions and vitamins selection. My only advice to her was to look into other options especially vitamins specifically for Bariatric procedures.

I know every patient/doctor is different but I wanted to hear from others how they transitioned to regular food.  

I'm concerned about a friend. She had surgery over a month ago and has not started regular foods. She is still eating soft foods.  Her doctor want her to continue soft foods for an additional four weeks. She only eat eggs and crabmeat. 

I know every doctor's guidance is different but this does not sound normal to me. When I had surgery my doctor instructed me to eat in phases. 1-2 weeks liquids, 3rd week puree, and 4-5th week soft foods.

At my one month's doctor appointment I was instructed to start regular food. I made sure to eat chicken and turkey, food with a lot of protein. I also would drink protein shakes to make sure I had enough protein.

Another issue I have is her surgeon told her it was fine for her take Flinstone vitamins. Taking Flinstone vitamins after bariatric surgery is the craziest thing I'v ever heard. I stress to her to look into the bariatric vitamins. 

I am concerned she will have a set back. She does not listen to me. I followed my doctor's order and I have not had any issues. I was the model patient. I know everyone is different but the guidance her doctor is providing does not sound normal.

My question to the community is when did you start eating regular food? Have you every heard of someone instructed to eat soft foods for two months? 

frisco
on 7/20/16 12:11 am

I think she is doing just fine.

Extending the healing stage is a good thing as you only get one chance to heal. With my surgeons approval, I extended each phase by a week. at 6 weeks I remember eating a half of a scrambled egg.

Eating foods like chicken to early can be a challenge for someone new to a sleeved stomach. Chicken should be one of the last proteins to be re-introduced. Chicken really slams the pyloric valve shut for most people.

Flintstone multi vits are just fine for the initial stage as it is easy and no brainer, but certainly not a good longer term choice.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active