Concerned Friend

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/20/16 4:22 am, edited 7/19/16 9:23 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I wasn't on regular food until 8 weeks.  My surgeons do many surgeries with an extremely low complication rate.  They have only a short pre-op diet (7 days and not all liquid).  They progress patients slowly and steadily through food stages post-op until 8 weeks.

They suggest any chewable in the beginning including Flinstone, then at 8 weeks review all the needed supplements (which could probably still include Flinstone vitamins with additional supplements).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Neesie57
on 7/20/16 10:58 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I was also on soft foods until 8 weeks out from surgery.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

FuturePinUp
on 7/20/16 7:14 am

Like others have said, every plan is different - and just because it is doesn't make one "wrong" and one "right." For example, I never had a liquids or puree stage in my post-op plan. I went straight to soft/mushy solids Day 1 and normal food at 3-4 weeks out. I was still extremely successful in my journey. Many people on here don't start soft solids for a while (2 months, or more) and they have also been very successful.

I was also on Flinstones vitamins until I was cleared for regular ones I could swallow. My doctor allows for them as a temporary means because he has found a lot of people can't tolerate the bariatric chewables (I tried and wanted to vomit every time I chewed one. So gross.)

The best thing she can do right now is follow her doctor's orders. Eating eggs and crab meat is totally OK as long as she's tolerating it well, and not sick of it!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Bufflehead
on 7/20/16 8:25 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

LOL you'd probably call Adult Protective Services or the state medical board complaint line or something if your friend had surgery with my doc! We aren't allowed to progress off soft foods for SIX MONTHS post-op. And his practice has an incredibly low rate of complications and a high rate of weight loss success.

I've never had a bariatric vitamin in my life, nor do I care to. Those things are chock full of calories and carbs and sweeteners, and overpriced to boot. I have my labwork done regularly -- as I am sure your friend will -- and my results have always been stellar.

Plans are all different -- I am sure your friend will be fine and her team will take good care of her. You are obviously a loving and supportive friend but I would focus just on friendship and let her team take care of the professional aspects of post-op support.

kyzze
on 7/20/16 8:26 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

She has to take her own personal journey through this process. The best thing to do for her as her friend is support her.

Kyzze

jujuh
on 7/20/16 8:39 am - Northern Cincinnati Suburb, OH
VSG on 06/03/16

My doctor requires 1st month liquid diet, 2nd month puree diet(which is what I am on now), 3rd month soft/mushy food and on the 4th month regular food. He use to go though the stages a lot quick but patients were getting sick and not feeling well so he extended the time on each stage. I was also told Flintstone vitamins were okay in the beginning. As long as she his getting her protein and water, she will be fine.

mylastchance
on 7/20/16 10:06 am

I would suggest letting your friend go through her WLS journey with her Dr.  I know you mean well, but if you are questioning her plan she may feel impelled to begin eating before she should and in turn mess something up.  We are all different,  Dr.'s are different,  and we all progress different.  Be positive with her and her plan and see her through it.  Don't compare your plan with hers.  Just be there as a good friend and cheer her on.  That is what she needs,  to know she is doing okay and will succeed. 

We go into this surgery to better ourselves and have enough second guessing on our own without anyone's input,  so just be a good friend and support her on her journey.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

McLassie
on 7/20/16 11:03 am
VSG on 07/25/16

I can't start regular foods for two to three months after surgery. My plan goes like this: 1 week of clear liquids, 1 week of full liquids, 2 weeks of pureed foods, 4-8 weeks of soft foods, then regulars when tolerated.

Flintstone vitamins are what my team recommends as well, as long as they are the kind with iron. Take twice the adult dose per day and it fits in the required nutritional needs. Why spend the extra money if your nutritional requirements are met? 

My surgeon has a great success rate and takes on many patients from other centers that have complications from their surgeries, basically fixing other surgeons' messes. I trust him 100%.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/20/16 1:30 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Her surgeon is WRONG about Flintstone vitamins.  Despite what others on this site may say, they do not meet the minimum requirements of the ASMBS.  She will likely find herself suffering from nutritional deficiencies if she continues to take them long term.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the soft food time frame.  It will give her new sleeve time to completely heal.  All surgeons have different plans that they feel work best for their patients.  As long as she's getting enough protein, she will be fine.

For me, I was two weeks liquid, two weeks pureed foods, then soft foods starting at week five.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/20/16 5:14 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Her Dr may be giving her more time to heal.  Plans vary & she may have had complications or a pre existing condition that might be making him more cautious.

I don't think taking Flinstones vitamins even the adult kind are good for us long term. I also don't agree with the op that said bariatric vitamins are a racket. I can understand maybe in the beginning taking gummy vitamins because a new stomach might not tolerate the hard vitamins.

I know for myself I used to take a multivitamin like Centrum or other kinds of multivitamins, however over time I found that my stomach would be irritated if I took them on an empty stomach, so I would have to eat something along with taking them.

I've since switched to the multi vitamin patch by patchmd, labs are good. No looking back as far as I'm concerned.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active