Any severe GERD problems

deby_S
on 9/19/16 4:57 pm - TX

Thank you.  So with the RNY you still have acid problems?

Deby

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.    
H.A.L.A B.
on 9/20/16 11:26 am

on and off... I probably had 2 years total when I did not have to take PPI.  

but my last one - that started in November - was horrible... the worst of it lasted 3 months.. during which I had to sleep with elevated head and took a lot PPI and antacids...We (me and a group of docs) don't know what caused it.... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

deby_S
on 9/19/16 7:13 pm - TX

I have looked for kombucha and a lot of stuff comes up. Can you share what you buy that seems to help please. I saw yogi makes tea bags. Is that what you mean?  If you can tell me what you buy and where I would love to try it. 

Thanks in advance!

Deby

Anne O.
on 9/19/16 7:28 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I get most of my tea from mountain rose herbs: https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ , although the hibiscus I bought in bulk from amazon.  Sometimes I just use lipton - loose leaf.  I got the scoby from the class I took.  You can find SCOBYs online, too. 

You can find sites online that will tell you how to make kombucha. I tried to make it a couple of years ago, without much success so I stopped, but I learned a lot in this class and I think I know what I did wrong the first time. 

Anne O.
on 9/19/16 7:35 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Don't use a tea with any fruit or any flavorings. Just use plain tea - black, green or white. Herbal teas are ok, but our teacher suggested that we mix them with another real tea (black, green, oolong or white).  Use filtered water and real sugar - organic sugar is better. Honey is ok if it's raw. 

I liked what I saw on the food renegade. http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-brew-kombucha-double-ferm entation-method/

- She seems to know what she is doing, but, like she said, there are variations in kombucha making. 

If you buy your kombucha - I like the GT'S brand. Now that I'm making my own, I've gotta say, mine is pretty tasty. And cheaper - in the long run - I'll have to make a few more gallons, but at $3 a bottle for the store bought stuff, it won't take long to break even for the cost of the class and supplies. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/20/16 10:22 am, edited 9/20/16 3:23 am

Most health food stores carry Kombucha drinks. I just bought a few different ones to try- organic- especially when they were on sale. I buy mine from WF- it is not cheap and i do plan to make my own - eventually..I need a good starter. Some have more sugar than other I pick the ones that has less than 2 gr of sugar per 8 oz serving.    They are not cheap $3.50+ per 16 oz bottle - but 4 bottles is an 8 day supply.. 

Probiotics - the good ones are really expensive.  when I dealt with a serious pain - I got the VSL#3 (pharmacy in Costco had the best price - you have to ask for it- itis refrigerated item)

The only PPI that helped me when I had the flare was Dexilant- but after 2 months they did not want to pay for it. and at $250+per month - that was very expensive... I tried Nexium and omeprazole and zantac... that combination reduced some pain and burning from 10+ to 1-2.. But I was already doing better... I used to take nexium and zantac in the morning - omeprazole in the mid of the day and nexium and zantac at night ..plus the antacid (calcium carbonate) for breakthrough burning -pain... plus ginger tea...and lots of water...

I also took carafate to help heal the irritation... and chew zinc lozenges  for throat irritation...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stacyrg
on 9/19/16 4:58 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Yes. If PPI's aren't controlling your symptoms, have your Dr. test you for the gene mutation that affects the speed at which PPIs are metabolized.  I developed severe GERD one year after my VSG and I was tested for the mutation.  I am an "Ultra Rapid Metabolizer" which means that PPIs are basically useless for me.  The only med that offered any relief was Dexilant because it utilizes a different channel in the liver.  Unfortunately my insurance would not cover the Dexilant (midway through my policy, they amended my policy to specifically exclude Dexilant) so I ended up having to convert to RNY

happyteacher
on 9/20/16 5:23 pm

That just sucks.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Mai23
on 9/20/16 4:05 pm

I have severe GERD, very severe. I'm on 3 different meds for it, none of them seem to help. However I do not want the RNY - which is how this reflux is usually treated. I especially do not want it after seeing several RNYers on this board who suffer from reflux. I talked to Dr.Kesheshian in California and he thinks he can do a partial nissen fundiplication to help me out. I am also considering getting the DS but most likely I will have him perform some sort of nissen fundiplication first to see if that fixes the reflux. 

deby_S
on 9/20/16 4:53 pm - TX

This is pretty much where I am at.  I would like to stay in  touch and see how things go for you.  We are trying a couple of other things.  I too do not want to have RNY and have seen many state they still have reflux problems, both with RNY and revision to RNY.  I am having another EGD to see if I have a hiatal hernia since I have had one before.  Strange to pray you have a hernia!  I would appreciate any updates you can give me on your path for treatment.  

If you have not read the book Dropping Acid, you may want to.  I have done the induction diet and followed it fairly well and it does help.  Basically it is an alkaline diet and foods that do not promote acid.  Not the easiest, but...

Blessings,

Deby

Deby

Most Active