4 Days Since Sleeve & Obsessed with an Egg.

DakotaCJ
on 10/16/16 12:12 pm

Thank you Donna!

This makes sense especially for the raw food. Since I have not felt full or had a bad reaction to anything (only 4 days out) will I know that there is something wrong? In other words is it pretty black and white that your body doesn't like a food?

Donna L.
on 10/16/16 12:55 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Oh - your body will let you know quite unpleasantly, I assure you!  It should never be outright pain, though.  Here's the thing: any pain or unusual feelings and you should call your surgeon to verify you are fine.  What I may experience may be typical - for me, not necessarily anyone else.

Harvey (my sleeve) must do everything backwards.  For me, eggs and pureed chicken were grossly unpleasant, like having a lump of lead sitting in my stomach accompanied with severe nausea, but pureed beef and lamb were fine.  Very few patients eat beef first.  In my case, that was the best pureed protein out of the gate.  I also wound up doing liquids longer because I was having trouble with pressure and discomfort.  I did not want to risk a leak or bleed, but I was also experiencing severe uncomfortable feelings that were grossly unpleasant. I have no idea why this was the case for me, and neither did the surgeon's office.  I also still have issues with lean meat, even with broth, and fatty cuts of things are always easier on my stomach. Since I'm revising to the DS (hopefully) that probably works in my favor, that I need fatty meat, heh.

Re: raw food, I am not sure about how wise it is (in general) to eat raw food after surgery.  Chiefly, because many of us take a PPI, and reduced stomach acid may allow for pathogens to more easily survive the stomach.  I consider it a calculated risk on my part, as sashimi is preferable to a lot of other Japanese food. 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

califsleevin
on 10/16/16 11:31 am - CA

As noted, stages are quite specific to different doctors and practices. I only had two stages (liquids, mushes and soft proteins progressing as tolerated for the first month, and everything else after that,) so eggs were fine for me the first week (had them served in the hospital, too,) but other docs might have conniptions for doing them that early. YMMV. If you weren't provided with a booklet that spells out their stages, or have a reference on their webpage, check with your doc's staff as to what their stage 2 permits. As with many things in this game, there are no universal answers.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

DakotaCJ
on 10/16/16 12:14 pm

Thanks Califsleevin,

I do have a booklet but it seems (to me) fairly vague. Appreciate your insights!

Gwen M.
on 10/16/16 1:47 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Sadly the only true advice we can give you is to ask your doctor, as all of our plans are slightly different.  

My stages didn't have names - I had two weeks of liquids, two weeks of purees, and then two weeks of soft solids.  I could have eaten pureed egg at my pureed stage and a soft scrambled egg in soft solids.  (Eggs can be challenging for some people, they never were for me.)  

I can't remember when I first had raw food.  I assume it was sushi or carpaccio.  No problems whenever it was :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 10/16/16 3:18 pm - Warren, OH

The world according to Eggface will tell you everything you need to succeed on these phases

Liquids

Purees

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

DakotaCJ
on 10/17/16 4:23 pm

Thank you! Very helpful

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/17/16 3:24 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I also didn't have stages and had a lot of documentation from the doctor.  For the 2 days I was in the hospital, I had water and protein shakes (medicine cups worth - both clear and whey bases).  From home until 4 weeks I was completely puréed foods (no eggs).  At 4 weeks, soft scrambled eggs and a few other VERY soft foods were added. At 8 weeks I was cleared for all, but given an order in which to add foods. It took about 2 weeks more to get to completely all (and steaks not until 4 months out).  So I had a little more in the beginning than some, but then was progressed to full eating very slowly.  I was thrilled with the addition of eggs, but they were very filling and much harder to handle at first - I still eat them every morning because I really can't overeat on them.  At 8 weeks I just wanted to chew something!  

In retrospect, it didn't really take that long to progress and I never threw-up (nauseous when over-ate only twice), so I think it was a great plan.  So follow what your surgeon says and if unsure, call the office.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

ItsTimeNow99
on 10/17/16 6:28 am

I was also sleeved on the 12th.  My Stage 1 was water. Tiny sips that were heaven.    Next day was Stage 2 - clear broth, decaf tea, sugar free Jello - the clear liquid stage. I came home (2 days post-op) on Stage 3 - high protein, full liquids -protein shakes, low fat yogurts, egg whites or egg beaters, Greek yogurt, Cottage cheese, sugar free/fat free pudding.  I am on Stage 3 until my follow-up on the 26th.  Then should go to Stage 4 -Soft & Moist foods, which adds pureed high protein animal protein as well as high protein vegetable proteins like tofu, soy, etc.  Plus get back to taking the chewable vitamins.  This coninues for 4 to 6 weeks.  But as everyone says all doctors seem to have their own plans.  I tried scrambled egg whites yesterday with a little discomfort, so will probably hold off on them for a few days to give my sleeve more healing time.  Most things are trial and error. But the thought of vomiting gives me goose bumps at this point, so I do everything I can so I don't.                                                    I definitely would forgo anything raw until your doctor ok's it.

Best of luck. You'll do great.

P.

HW -265; SW - 251; CW - 154

Surgery Date- 10/12/2016!!

Secrets224
on 10/17/16 11:26 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Hi! As a new sleever, I can agree with everyone who has posted on this thread so far. Every single surgeon/group is different, so you really have to defer to your doctor's office. Call them if you have any concerns or questions. I was moved to pureed foods at my 1 week visit and my particular plan includes soft scrambled eggs, pureed ground turkey, chicken or tofu and I am allowed to eat tuna, salmon or other fish just cooked very soft in some kind of broth or gravy to make it tender. I've steered away from the fish, however,  as i tried it one day for lunch and found it difficult to get down, just too dry. But i've found I am able to ground up tender grilled chicken in just about anything to up my protein intake as long as it is baby food consistency once pureed, i'm good to go. Soups with ground chicken have been my go-to and i've been great on that. No problem at all.

But, i would definitely make an appointment with your doctor, or at least call and ask if you are able to have eggs at this point in your diet progression.

Good Luck!! 

Surg. Date: 9/27/2016 VSG

HW: 334 * SW: 312 * CW: 188* GW: 175

*Mommy of 2 BEAUTIFUL little girls who make my life go round*