anyone else feel like this

patchoulli
on 1/21/17 5:11 am - port charlotte, FL

That's what I was thinking.  Im afraid the weight will continue to climb...Thank you for your feedback.

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/17 5:48 am
VSG on 10/11/16

You are welcome.  To add to this just a little, I had the conversation with the surgeon as well.  His response was that I already knew the answer.  He went on to say that I would continue to lose weight and do very well at it, and even keep it off for a while, just as I had in years past.  But then, it would start creeping back up, and I would be back in his office, only older, and possibly with additional complications.  

I realize he also has a profit motive in this, but that did not make his words any less true.  

White Dove
on 1/21/17 5:52 am - Warren, OH

It is normal to have weight loss from the dieting prior to surgery and it is normal to gain it back with extra if you do not go through with the surgery.

Without surgery you will continue the yo-yo pattern. 

With surgery, you have a chance to get the weight off and a tool that will help you to keep it off permanently.

I hope you make the wise choice for yourself and your daughter.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

reree6898
on 1/21/17 7:06 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I had been heavy my whole life at my heaviest I had gotten to 376 lbs.  The only weight related issue I was having was joint pain and I was border line high blood pressure.  I had researched WLS for years but never had the money or insurance that would cover it until 2015.  I second guessed myself all the way till they knocked me out on the operating table.  It has been hard but I have lost 176 lbs since surgery and am just about 10 pounds from my goal weight.  It is wonderful to know that doing this has helped my joints, and I'm sure extended my life due to perfect blood pressure and cutting my risk for diabetes.  I am more active and actually take part in life instead of watching from the side lines.  

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

patchoulli
on 1/21/17 3:34 pm - port charlotte, FL

Thank you for your input.  I just feel that it has been so many years, I haven't always been heavy, but Ive always fought it.  You are beautiful!

paulag52
on 1/27/17 6:32 pm

Congratulations!  

theAntiChick
on 1/21/17 8:22 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I had the same thoughts before surgery.  But I read a comment by someone last year on another board where she said "I'm a pro at dieting, I can lose weight like nobody's business.  KEEPING it off is another story."

I think most of us at the point of considering WLS are pro dieters.  The problem is that the deck is stacked against us with set point and hormone drives and messed up metabolism from dieting and sedentary lifestyle and overabundance of crap food readily available.  Keeping it off is the part that keeps going off the rails for 95% of the population (statistically).  WLS gives us an advantage that betters our chances at keeping it off.  I liken it to going on a mountain hike in good hiking boots and equipment instead of in spike heels and pantyhose.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

patchoulli
on 1/21/17 3:36 pm - port charlotte, FL

Its so true, I don't even count the times I have lost 30 pounds..thats like amateur night at karaoke...I like boots!

cappy11448
on 1/21/17 9:11 am

I can relate to so much of what you say.  I waited until I was 63 and almost 400 pounds before deciding to have the surgery.  i'm so glad I had it. I also could lose 50 pounds but would inevitably gain it back and more every time.  the weight loss surgery really does change the body chemistry. 

Now I can lose the weight and avoid regaining.  I lost 225 pounds and I've been maintaining at a normal weight for over 2 years.  The surgery really helps, but it doesn't make it easy.  Its a life-long commitment to healthy eating, and following the rules and sticking to the diet plan.  But it is possible. 

Best of luck with your decision.  I think you will be very happy if you have the weight loss surgery.  It really does help.

Carol 

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

patchoulli
on 1/21/17 3:38 pm - port charlotte, FL

Thank you Cappy!  I'm 58, if I don't do this now, I feel I wont ever.  You are an inspiration!