anyone else feel like this

akindofmagick
on 1/26/17 1:13 pm - MD

I had VSG 5 days before I turned 58 (absolutely did not feel like celebrating my birthday that year; was still sleeping sitting up, ugh!). I only wish I'd had it done in 2009, when I first learned of it.

My joint pain, my high blood pressure, high cholesterol, incipient diabetes, and mild sleep apnea - ALL GONE. I walked 15 miles in two days in NYC this past Christmas, on hard pavement wearing BOOTS. I hiked in Big Sur and Yosemite last August. I can walk my tweens into the ground. I can even RUN again. Whooo-hoooo!!!

Ageism at work was getting to be an issue - I was a fat old lady. Now I'm older... but looking pretty darn good. People treat me differently, and with more respect (I work in IT.) It's NICE, lemme tell you.

No regrets (except wishing I'd done it sooner!)!!!

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

patchoulli
on 1/26/17 5:15 pm - port charlotte, FL

One week from tomorrow.  Thank you for the positive words,.

paulag52
on 1/27/17 6:35 pm

I'm 64 and just had my sleeve 3  days ago. It will be s struggle but I know it will get easier. 

Rachel B.
on 1/21/17 9:24 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I was in the same spot as you - 120# overweight, healthy as a horse, working out at the gym regularly, etc,etc,etc...  I didn't have health insurance and I did self-pay too.  My first diet was at 7.  I didn't feel the least bit guilty about about doing the surgery.  I have spent so much money on WW, Jenny Craig, weight pills, shots, programs, etc.  It was the best decision I ever made in my life.  It wasn't the magic bullet.  I lost my way for a few years, but I'm back on track and the weight is coming off well again.  For that, I will always be greatful.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

patchoulli
on 1/21/17 4:47 pm - port charlotte, FL

I've been quietly following your journey.  I appreciate your honesty when talking about your vacation.  Thank you

Erin T.
on 1/21/17 9:29 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I'm 5 days post surgery and I still feel like this. I can lose weight on my own, and to some extent I've even maintained it. I had about a 100lb loss, but had gained 40lbs of it back by the time I started consulting with the surgeon. At my first appointment I had a 36.2 BMI (but am a Type I diabetic so I had a co-morbidity). I was healthy, active and generally didn't have many complaints - except I wanted desperately to feel better about myself and I knew that there was a weight where I do but can't seem to stay there. At 5 days post op I actually would no longer qualify for the surgery already and I can't help but think what people will think when they see me!  

patchoulli
on 1/21/17 4:49 pm - port charlotte, FL

Wow! Awesome!

Readyjwc
on 1/21/17 12:11 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi:

This surgery is a hard decision for many people. I think having to pay for it yourself makes it even more difficult. If you're like me, it's hard to put yourself first. Yet, in this cir****tance, it's for the benefit of everyone you love - including yourself. I think you should make an appointment with a therapist and talk things through.

Don't ever accept that you have to be anyone other than yourself. You don't have to be the jolly fat person - you can be the jolly thin person or heck, not even jolly if you don't want to be.

You're doing a great job - 10 lbs lost - woo hoo!

Take care and good luck.

Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

patchoulli
on 1/21/17 5:00 pm - port charlotte, FL

Good luck to you too!  I will probably talk to someone, I do know the risks scare me, I also know I'm not happy at this size.  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/21/17 4:22 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I can identify with the feeling of shame in needing wls. It sucks, its like one of the few treatments out there that works, that at the same time society is making it that we should feel shameful in getting it. 

I remember being in the waiting room with my stylish cap & matching booties & thinking Do I really want to do this? It's not too late, I can do it again. In fact my original username is listed as 1lasttime, b4  I changed how I wanted my name to be shown to how it is now.

I already had a couple of co morbidities & felt like it was just a matter of time b4 any more was gonna be added to the list. So I took a deep breath & let them wheel me into the operating room.

Don't let yourself feel shallow or ungrateful because you can't fit into society view of a jolly fat person. Screw all that. You're doing what you need to do to be healthy now. 

I wish you the best of luck & will save you a spot on the losers bench, #no-regrets. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/