Fallen off the wagon in more ways than one

ipray
on 1/23/17 8:48 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

BTW, I am so glad to hear that your daughter and mom are now ok. I hope that you will be able to concentrate on yourself at this point. Such an ongoing process!

ocean4dlm
on 1/24/17 2:55 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

You are here and owning it, which is a solid first step. I am a year into maintenance and this is the first time I saw it as the beginning of a new phase of a healthy lifestyle versus "the end of a diet". Maintaining a goal weight range is even more of a commitment than losing the weight because most of us have NO prior success or experience maintaining a healthy weight range. The shift from tracking weight loss to building physical and emotional fitness is enormous.

You already realize that you can eat around your pouch, and you've gotten great advice to eliminate alcohol, reduce carbs, and focus on protein. Have you considered counseling to support your head catching up with a healthier body ?  You've got this !

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

hollykim
on 1/24/17 7:05 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 24, 2017 at 10:55 AM Pacific Time, ocean4dlm wrote:

You are here and owning it, which is a solid first step. I am a year into maintenance and this is the first time I saw it as the beginning of a new phase of a healthy lifestyle versus "the end of a diet". Maintaining a goal weight range is even more of a commitment than losing the weight because most of us have NO prior success or experience maintaining a healthy weight range. The shift from tracking weight loss to building physical and emotional fitness is enormous.

You already realize that you can eat around your pouch, and you've gotten great advice to eliminate alcohol, reduce carbs, and focus on protein. Have you considered counseling to support your head catching up with a healthier body ?  You've got this !

we have sleeved stomachs not pouches.

Hiraeth
on 1/24/17 8:19 am
VSG on 08/04/16

The word "pouch" is not literal. It's just a name, lol.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/24/17 9:08 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

One thing about missing out on some of the fun here was the big sleeve vs pouch post. The thing with pouch, over here, one thinks about the rny surgery versus sleeve which makes one think about the vsg surgery. Thus the reasoning behind why we try not to confuse pouch with sleeve.

Literally rny'rs have a stomach that looks like a pouch, while the stomach for sleevers looks like a tube, but I guess the name tubers was taken. lol 

Besides originally the pouch reset wasn't meant for sleevers, it was for people who had the rny. 

A fad is a fad no matter who it was meant for. imo 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Hiraeth
on 1/24/17 10:23 am
VSG on 08/04/16

So, would you say that the people, who have had success with the "pouch reset", are lying or over-exaggerating? Would you also say that the Nutritionists I've asked are wrong? I'm genuinely just wondering, because if it doesn't work, then I don't want to waste my time in the future.

I do agree, though, that it is a nice way to "reset" the mind. Kind of like a junk food detox, if you will.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/24/17 10:44 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'm not saying people who've had success with the pouch reset are lying, any fad done in the short time will give you exactly that, short term success. Part of the problem with resets is doing it every time you get off track. There comes a time when you have to stop with the resetting & start embracing the lifestyle change we all signed up for when we went for wls. 

I don't know what nutritionists you went to, but if they think that you're physically altering your matured pouch/sleeve, then I would definitely disagree with them.

Some people do need a mental reset, but going thru the stages that most of us went thru after surgery is unnecessary. 

I say start with dense protein, detox off of simple carbs,get your water in/up., you don't need a weeks worth of liquids or soft foods to do that. Frankly I think doing a day or 2 of just liquids is similar to punishing myself for 1 too many days of "bad" eating., & I'd still end up hungry & majorly pissed. 

You couldn't pay me to go back to all liquids or mushy food again. 

Check out the 5 day meat test in my siggy, Julie created the site, but it's what I go back to if I needed a reset.

Yum, yum meat, & fish, with a dash of veggies on the side.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

Hiraeth
on 1/24/17 11:17 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Oh, I never saw it as a long-term thing. I just saw it as a way to get back on track with how you're supposed to be eating. I guess maybe I see this as a good thing because I'm the type of person who takes a big step and makes drastic changes. I guess I feel like I have to go overboard in order to really change, if that makes sense? I agree that it does seem unnecessary, but I don't know why I see good in it. LOL so I guess you get "hangry"? I usually just get a mild headache.

Oh, wow! I like the 5 day meat test. What do you think about crab? I could definitely eat a bunch of that. What veggies do you recommend? I don't like very many, except for green beans and asparagus, ha.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/24/17 11:34 am, edited 1/24/17 3:35 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Oh yeah this girl gets hungry! If I had liquids all day, I'd be miserable & might go overboard by the time I could eat! 3Bassethounds posted a real nice picture of all the yummy foods in her fridge for when she starts her new job today. If I could reset any day, it'd be in her fridge! lol

I like crab, but I'm lousy at cooking. I could look at Hells Kitchen & Masterchef & I think I could be happy with what they'd throw away! I was gonna buy some imitation crab at BJ's, but it had all this sugar & salt & I'm like really, do y'all gotta put all that in crab!

Veggies is a hit or miss for me, fresh salad, thinking dark greens, not that iceberg stuff with chicken or tuna. Never seem to get tired of spinach. 

edited to add I think there's a vegetarian vgebeth?, on these boards, she started a vegetarian group, she might have some ideas on the veggie front, or Shelleys blog The world according to egg face, she might have some recipes, then there's the What are you eating threads on the various forums, I'm sure someone on there might be a little more into veggies than I am to give you some better info.

NYMom222
on 1/24/17 10:53 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Reset in 3 Bassethounds fridge... OMG girl that is funny! 

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views