Fallen off the wagon in more ways than one

Hiraeth
on 1/25/17 7:10 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Thanks! Yeah, maybe I'm talking about imitation crab. I usually get crab sticks from Asian restaurants. But if there's a ton of sugar in them... That's a big no. :/

What about those frozen shrimp trays? 3 oz of that shrimp is like 100 calories and 21g of protein. Sorry for all the questions. You just seem to know a lot about all of this.

Girl, YES! I love darker lettuce, too. The iceberg stuff makes my stomach hurt. Do you boil your chicken when you put it in there? What dressing do you use?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/25/17 4:45 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Oh I wish I knew a lot about this. Still learning all the time even as I approach 3 years, the learning is like forever ya know. 

I usually buy the cooked frozen with the tail off shrimp from Costco. I just defrost some of it, then spice it up how I like with some mayo, or without mayo & put over some spinach with some dressing. You do get a lot of protein for little calories, but like anything it depends on what you add to it that makes the calories pile up.

Boil chicken? Oh that brings me back. My mom used to boil chicken, but when I cook, the rare times that I do cook chicken, it's in the pan & it is a little breaded, yeah I know the carbs, but again I hardly cook. The chicken I buy is the breast strips that are already cooked. When I do cook, its fish, mostly cuz its fast & easy.

Actually there's a crockpot club on these boards. I think its headed by HappyTeacher?, anyway if you have a crockpot, they probably have some good recipes. I was tempted to get 1 at the last Amazon great deals sale. I kinda like the idea of set it & forget it when it comes to cooking.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Hiraeth
on 1/26/17 6:44 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Yes! That's the kind of shrimp I'm talking about. So good! I don't always eat anything with it. I just eat the shrimp by itself.

I like boiled chicken with light ranch. But I also love breaded chicken. So good!

Oh that's cool! I'll have to check that out. LOL! I know right? It's so nice to be able to cook something that you can walk away from, haha.

VSGAnn2014
on 1/24/17 11:19 am, edited 1/24/17 3:19 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Damn!  

And I mean that in the good way.  :)  

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

hollykim
on 1/24/17 11:44 am, edited 1/24/17 3:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 24, 2017 at 4:19 PM Pacific Time, Hiraeth wrote:

The word "pouch" is not literal. It's just a name, lol.

wrong again. It is literal. When the rny is formed the stomach is formed in a small draw string type container,known medically as a "pouch".

those of us who have had wls should talk about it with knowledge.

theAntiChick
on 1/24/17 2:30 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I got in a heated discussion on another board about the terms.  I wholeheartedly agree that it's important to use the right words when talking about medical stuff.  The other person in that discussion started throwing links to doctors using the word "pouch" in reference to a sleever, to somehow prove that the terms are interchangeable because a doctor said it.  Sorry, I'm a nurse, and I know for a FACT that doctors do not know everything, and some are not precise with the terms they use (and thus tend to be awful with patient education).

The pouch from an RNY also has a capacity to stretch that a properly formed sleeve does not.  I say "properly formed" because apparently there are surgeons out there who do not even use a bougie to form the sleeve, so they have no idea how big it is or isn't.  And some docs use some interesting logic to decide what size of bougie to use.  Anyway, a properly formed sleeve doesn't really have much capacity to stretch.  Capacity increases early on because the swelling and inflammation goes down.  Capacity increases later on because your tolerance for the fullness messages from the sleeve increases.  Also, people will graze all day or extend the length of their meals which allows them to take more in because they're stuffing more food in as food empties from the sleeve.  So it may seem like the sleeve has stretched, but it probably hasn't stretched in any major way.

At least that's the information from my surgeon and my personal research, FWIW.  :)

In my opinion (again, FWIW) things like the pouch reset program are really more about trying to re-establish the correct eating patterns and habits and don't really change the size of the pouch/sleeve... if there is any true "shrinking" that happens with it, it would be a RNY thing, not a VSG thing.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

hollykim
on 1/24/17 7:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 24, 2017 at 10:30 PM Pacific Time, theAntiChick wrote:

I got in a heated discussion on another board about the terms.  I wholeheartedly agree that it's important to use the right words when talking about medical stuff.  The other person in that discussion started throwing links to doctors using the word "pouch" in reference to a sleever, to somehow prove that the terms are interchangeable because a doctor said it.  Sorry, I'm a nurse, and I know for a FACT that doctors do not know everything, and some are not precise with the terms they use (and thus tend to be awful with patient education).

The pouch from an RNY also has a capacity to stretch that a properly formed sleeve does not.  I say "properly formed" because apparently there are surgeons out there who do not even use a bougie to form the sleeve, so they have no idea how big it is or isn't.  And some docs use some interesting logic to decide what size of bougie to use.  Anyway, a properly formed sleeve doesn't really have much capacity to stretch.  Capacity increases early on because the swelling and inflammation goes down.  Capacity increases later on because your tolerance for the fullness messages from the sleeve increases.  Also, people will graze all day or extend the length of their meals which allows them to take more in because they're stuffing more food in as food empties from the sleeve.  So it may seem like the sleeve has stretched, but it probably hasn't stretched in any major way.

At least that's the information from my surgeon and my personal research, FWIW.  :)

In my opinion (again, FWIW) things like the pouch reset program are really more about trying to re-establish the correct eating patterns and habits and don't really change the size of the pouch/sleeve... if there is any true "shrinking" that happens with it, it would be a RNY thing, not a VSG thing.

agreed. I have know doctors who were no very smart, someone had to graduate last in their class, after all.

Just because they are doctors doesn't mean they are all knowing and right all the time

Hiraeth
on 1/25/17 7:02 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Thanks for your response. I appreciate how you always provide civil discussions. It allows me to see the other point of view. I know you probably think the sleeve doesn't stretch. Do you know why several people say their doctor's tell them that they're sleeve has stretched? Why would they say that unless it's true? My guess is, maybe they just want an excuse to perform another surgery?

Any kind of reset, in my opinion, is a good thing solely because it "resets" the habits of people. It makes me wonder if it tricks the mind in some way.

theAntiChick
on 1/25/17 10:21 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Just guessing, I think the doctors who say that might be simplifying the issue. If the sleeve was constructed without a bougie or with a very large one, there might be enough of the stretchy tissue to have more stretch than ideal. Or there could be sphincters at the top or bottom that have been damaged by overeating.

I think it's more likely the person is eating around the sleeve, but the doctor sees no benefit in getting into a compliance discussion with the patient, and thinks the malabsorption might help with compliance. 

There's too many variables for there to be a single reason for it. And there are always exceptions. All I'm saying is that for the most part, there is very little ability for large amounts of stretching in a properly formed sleeve. It's more likely the patient is eating around it than there being a huge increase in actual capacity. 

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Hiraeth
on 1/25/17 6:57 am
VSG on 08/04/16
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views