OT: Can America handle having a *fat* president?

So Blessed!
on 10/4/11 3:12 am

I just read that Chris Christie's dropping out of the presidential race.  After hearing so many mean-spirited and juvenile fat jokes about him, I'm left wondering how much of an impact this had in his decision.  Would people be so distracted by his weight that they would be unwilling to listen to what he had to say?

(deactivated member)
on 10/4/11 3:59 am
Day_dream_believer
on 10/4/11 4:16 am
He has said all along that he wasn't interested in running at this time.  I don't think he ever declared his intent to run.  It was mostly speculation from the media.

That said there has been a lot of comments made about his weight.  Putting aside all opinion of his political views  I was very disturbed by some of the comments.  If he is healthy enough to run then his weight shouldn't be an issue. 

I think America is more apt to elect an overweight man for office than an overweight woman.

So Blessed!
on 10/4/11 4:24 am

Truthfully, I'm not familiar with his political views or past performance at all.  He could be the anti-Christ.  This early in the election there are so many of them with their hat in the ring that I don't take any of them seriously. 

The fat jokes just rubbed me the wrong way.  What does his size have to do with anything?  If he's a jerk, then attack his character, not his size.

(deactivated member)
on 10/4/11 7:26 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
 Because I can't stand him for his stance on reproductive health and abortions. I am willing to focus on his weight.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 10/4/11 9:13 am
 I believe he is, in fact, the anti-Christ    but still - fat jokes are mean.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

glzgowlass
on 10/4/11 12:14 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
but I thought the anti-christ was supposed to be good-looking, charming and charasmatic?  Wait, am I being mean? 

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

So Blessed!
on 10/4/11 11:13 pm
On October 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM Pacific Time, glzgowlass wrote:
but I thought the anti-christ was supposed to be good-looking, charming and charasmatic?  Wait, am I being mean? 

snort
glzgowlass
on 10/4/11 12:05 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I heard more about him being a jerk than about his weight.  I know it came up but I heard a lot more in the way of sound-bites when he was going off on someone. 

But to answer your question, no America wouldn't vote for a fat president.  If Obama had been 300lbs, he wouldn't have gotten elected.  It's not that they never have but in the days of tv they don't usually even vote for the short guy far less the fat guy.  It's not right, but it is the way it is.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

hrford
on 10/4/11 4:50 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Honestly I don't think it has a thing to do with his weight.  People (comics) make fun of a noticeable trait.  Romny gets it about his hair, etc. . .  He never actually ran, he waited far to long to really throw his hat in the ring.  

I don't think there would be a problem with a fat person making it on the ticket. BUT I'm sure the news would play up health issues, just like they did with McCain, Clinton, Cheney, when they were running.  I don't think the voters are really going to care.  I mean most of the people in the US are overweight or obese so I really don't think it would matter.   

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Most Active