kinda lonely now...after losing all this weight

rocktheshade
on 11/27/11 11:22 am - Medway, MA
hi all - i had the surgery may 2010.  i was heavy for about 18 years prior to the surgery.  due to my being insecure, i never let friends in and in turn lost many that I had. 
I did let one in about 10 years ago.  unfortunately i lost her after a short and brutal 3 month battle with cancer 6 months  before i had surgery. 
now i am 249 (almost 250!!)  pounds lighter and i kinds feel alone.  i have my husband and family, but after never lettting anyone in all those years i am left without any "girl-friends".
i have touched base with some girls from high-school , but our lives are so different now.
not sure what i am trying to get out of this by writing, i guess i was just feeling bad and wanted someone to "talk" to.
thank you all for always being there!!!
tina

320 pounds GONE forever!!!

start 455/ current 135

Ladytazz
on 11/27/11 11:42 am
Are you able to go to any WLS support groups locally?  I guess the way to make friends is to engage in activities you enjoy, like an exercise class or book club.  That way you get to meet people with the same interests.  I'm not familiar with your area but where I live we have a community center that offers all kinds of classes and activities.
Do you go to church?  That is another place to meet people that you things in common with.
I know how you feel about losing a friend.  My friend, Sharon, passed away 4 years ago and I still miss her everyday.  It still hurts that she is gone.  And this year 2 other people I love dearly passed away.  
You have done terrific with your weight loss!  I am sure you will make a lot of new friends very soon.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Laurie T.
on 11/27/11 12:29 pm - MA
There are support groups in Worcester for WLS patients one day each month. I can get the day for you if you want. I know its in Worcester which is a little bit of a ride, but I come from Athol which is even further. If you're interested let me know and I'll ask AJ what day he does the group. AJ is awesome by the way. They are all amazing people who are such big supporters.
rocktheshade
on 11/27/11 12:51 pm - Medway, MA
hi- i have not gone to the group in worcester in months...that is a good idea to start up again!  i had my surgery at umass.  it is a drive...but worth it!
thanks again
Laurie T.
on 11/27/11 12:54 pm - MA
Yes, very worth it. I go to the groups on Thursdays for now, but I'll be seeing my surgeon on the 22 for our first meeting.. so I'll be having my surgery soon! 

You should deff start going again.. What a better way to meet people. People who understand you! 
rocktheshade
on 11/27/11 1:02 pm - Medway, MA
Yay. That is exciting. Good luck with your first meeting! I loved the whole experience at UMass! My surgeon is amazing, but no matter who you have, it will be great. I found everyone to be so caring and helpful. Thanks again!
(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 1:16 pm
Tina, I have to say (OT) of what you are writing about that you are one of the people I was talking about in regards to looking at people photos for becoming motivated again.

Seriously, just seeing your wdding pictures gave me such hope for the life I will hopefully lead after I see the success of WLS...

I  know Im not close but your more than welcome to write me anytime:)
rocktheshade
on 11/27/11 1:27 pm - Medway, MA
I cannot thank you enough. This means so much to me. I never thought I would have this amazing life change in just 16 months. I really am happy. I don't want this post to seem like I am not. I just miss having a close friend. Thanks again. I will keep in touch!
JJ_
on 11/27/11 7:57 pm
Hiya,  you have received some very sound advice.  I also wanted to add, if you want to have a friend you need to be one.   Relationships need two to tango.  Good luck with solving this issue and congrats on your wls success.

Judy
LindaScrip
on 11/27/11 9:15 pm
go to a gym join an exercise class go to the library if you enjoy reading & join a book club take classes in healthy cooking if you have a dog go to a dog park or find a walking park and join a group that walks find an activity you enjoy and see if there are groups or classes an Tina we are here if you need to chat.  sorry about the loss of your friend thats a tough one.  take care be well. congrads on your hard work paying off.
Most Active