Foamy Protein Shakes?

Alyson M.
on 2/26/12 12:18 am - Dennis Port, MA
OK I totally should know the answer to this, considering I'm 7 years postop. But when I mix my protein shakes, they get super-foamy, which to me is disgusting. I end up drinking it slowly, tipping my drink container to the side to avoid the foam (almost like a beer) I have both a blender bottle with the spiral-looking ball mixer, and another shaker bottle that has a screen-like insert for the top to break up the protein powder. I use Syntrax Nectar (the ONLY kind of protein powder I can stomach) any hints on getting a foam-free drink?

310/229/132/160 (highest/current/lowest/goal)

Midge
on 2/26/12 12:26 am - Indian Head Park, IL
Hi, Alyson!  I soo get this foamy frustration....like you, Syntrax Nectar is the only kind of protein powder I can stand........I am 8 years post op and still have not figured out how to mix it withou foam....so, now, after I mix it, I simply take a teaspoon and slowly hand mix the drink....it helps a bit to blend the foam into the drink, but not entirely......like you, I am looking for an answer, myself!  I did learn to put the powder in the shaker first, then to add my liquid.......less lumpy, so that did help.   Anybody out there with suggestions? 
M M
on 2/26/12 12:49 am
 Dump the Syntrax.

Find another brand. 

Blend it with ice.

Scrape off the foam, throw it away.

Let it sit a moment in the fridge...
Alyson M.
on 2/26/12 12:51 am - Dennis Port, MA
I've tried pretty much every brand out there, and they all make me puke or gag. I actually like the flavor/texture of Syntrax, and can keep it down. Now, when you say blend with ice, do you mean shake it, or throw it in the blender with ice? I do let it sit to let the foam settle more before I drink it, I will try scraping it next time.

M M
on 2/26/12 12:56 am
 Yes, in the blender.

Try:

Syntrax, ice, water, milk choice, sweetener (depending on flavor...) frozen fruit?

Blend.  

No foam.

At seven years -- you can likely take anything in for protein though?  
Alyson M.
on 2/26/12 1:02 am - Dennis Port, MA
Yes, I am 7 years out, but just had hernia surgery & while my surgeon was in there he did some "cleanup" and wants my pouch to shrink, plus in order to qualify to finally get my tummy tuck covered I need to drop 10 more lbs. So he put me on the postop diet for a few weeks to jumpstart that. Plus I'm a vegetarian, so I don't get my protein from meat, so a protein shake has always been part of my daily nutrition regime.

M M
on 2/26/12 1:13 am
 Oh, I get you... do you like beans/tofu, etc?  

You might feel fuller if you eat food -- solids -- we're about the same surgery time... I just realized.  Shakes go right through me liquids > pouch > empty and hungry again.
Alyson M.
on 2/26/12 1:16 am - Dennis Port, MA
I love beans & meat substitutes, not a fan of tufu regardless of how it's cooked/used. Shakes don't leave me hungry, thankfully. But starting today I'm on liquids only for about a week and a half (protein shakes, sf jello, sf popsicles, broth, crystal light) then on to soft foods for 2 weeks, etc. Gotta shake that 10-15 lbs!

M M
on 2/26/12 1:18 am
 All I can say is, I'm sorry.  LOL.

But, I am glad you can do it - it makes me want to cut kittens.
Alyson M.
on 2/26/12 1:20 am - Dennis Port, MA
oh god I'm going to be a cranky ***** for the first 2 weeks with no caffeine... I feel sorry for my hubby. But I just had surgery in December to fix a hernia, and from Thanksgiving till Christmas I either couldn't eat a thing or was on pure liquids. If I could do it then (I was hospitalized so it was kinda forced!) I can do it now!

Most Active