Not sure what to do

jyamiolk
on 1/27/13 1:29 am
VSG on 10/15/14 with

I am researching the options associated with Weight Loss.  Recently I have come to the realization that I need to do something. I am currently in the process of getting clearance for WLS but not sure if I want to go through with it. There are so many options and require life changes. I am not sure whether to investigate non surgical or surgical solutions. I have a BMI of 42 and currently have over 100 lbs to loose and am afraid that through non surgical means it will take me a very long time to loose the weight. I know that any decision comes with a dedication to the process. Does anyone have recommendations to Non surgical and or a preference for a surgical option. All of the surgical options come with benefits and also risks and options like RNY are not reversible. Should I consider going with the band and major diet and exercise changes? Should I go for the Gastric Bypass options or just work on diet changes and look into a Weight loss program like Weigh****chers?

I don't know what to do as there are so many options. 

Laura in Texas
on 1/27/13 2:31 am

When I attended a weight loss surgery seminar, Dr. Davis' words struck a chord with me. Why does everyone want a surgery that is reversible? After you lose the weight, you are not cured. I wanted something that would help me not only lose weight (the easy part) but to KEEP IT OFF. Surgery was the only thing that would help me with that. I stopped beating myself up for not being able to lose the weight "on my own" and decided to have RNY. It was the right decision for me.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

kathkeb
on 1/27/13 3:39 am

Don't believe the 'reversible' thing with the  band.

Many, many people have had band problems that have required removal ...only to find put that so much damage was caused by the band that they cannot have any type of revision.

More and more bands are being removed each day ...... I have been successful and lucky with mine, but consider it just a mater of time before the issues will start.

i had tried many forms of non surgical weight loss ... And succeeded in losing 100 pounds twice before but was never able to maintain the loss.

with WLS I lost 131 pounds in 18 months and have been maintaining that loss for over 2 years.

Kath

Valerie G.
on 1/27/13 4:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Those who lose 50 lbs with diet/exercise stand a 75% chance of regaining it all back.  Those who lose 100 lbs, stand a 97% chance of regaining it all back.  How lucky do you think you are?

Start learning all you can about 3 procedures in the mainstream right now: Vertical Sleeve, RNY Gastric Bypass, and the Duodenal Switch.  (I didn't mention LapBand because I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy).  It's important to learn about these because they each work a little differently, which is good because we are obese for different reasons.  As you learn about each procedure, compare what you learn to your own body and weight history, for you know this way better than any surgeon can size you up in a 10 min office consult.

The next step is determining how you'll pay for it.  Check with your insurance company to see if they cover it and what all you'll have to do to be approved. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Supergirl7877
on 1/27/13 10:29 am
Where did you get these diet/exercise stats?? I have to figure out how to be in that 3%! I don't mean this snide or anything....I really want to read up on this!
ruggie
on 1/27/13 4:57 am - Sacramento, CA

I second Valorie's excellent advice above.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

beanybaby
on 1/27/13 5:10 am

I researched the 3 main surgeries (like Valerie mentioned) and knew the DS was the only one I could live with. Most successful of all WLSs, easiest post-op lifestyle, and it didn't have the possible drawbacks that gastric bypass had of dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, and the inability to take NSAIDs for pain. 

The band was not among the 3 I looked at. Not worth the problems and low success rate.

redfrog61
on 1/27/13 7:20 am

i am 3 years since my bypass surgery!  90 lbs lost!! it was the best thing ive done. i wish i had done it sooner.  some times you just need that push to get you to where u want to be.  WLS is that push.  you will be glad u did.  then stay active, eat right, and join a support group.  good luck  nancy

Supergirl7877
on 1/27/13 10:04 am
I lost 160 pounds "on my own" using bodybugg. It was a 7 year journey from my highest including a pregnancy with a 60lb gain.

I just wanted to say this: no matter what you choose you are going to have to change your diet and exercise habits. While I have not has wls I have watched three of my immediate family members have wls and gain weight back. No matter what you choose the hard part will always be maintaining it.

Only you know what is right for you. Wls is a great tool for many people. Even my family members who still struggle totally stand behind their decision to have the surgery. They are no where near their high weights even though they have rebounded some weight.
kitsyb
on 1/28/13 4:37 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12
Most Active