Tell me what you think...

healthycarolina
on 11/7/13 8:48 am
RNY on 11/18/13

I am scheduled for surgery November 18th.  At first I was not going to tell people, but then I decided that I would tell my  real friends and family.  These are people that have known me for years and have seen me struggle.  I am not doing a facebook announcement, because those people are not really my friends.  Good luck to both of us.

Wanda

Mimoosmom
on 11/7/13 9:33 am
RNY on 12/04/13

I just wanted to say thanks for each and every reply.  I still haven't completely decided about telling EVERYONE, but if anyone asks I'll surely tell them. I'm just such an open and honest person.  I can't lie for nothing.   When I get closer to my date, I'll decide.  My gut right now says to just get it out there.  I'm definitely waiting until after my EGD to make sure nothing is going to keep the surgery from happening. 

Laccygurl
on 11/7/13 4:56 pm - Paso Robles, CA
I told every one. Family fb family. Would shout it from a roof top if I could. The support I get is priceless. If some one is not with me I tell them to put it where the sun dont shine and move on. It my life I did it for me and to live longer for my son. Good luck on your journey.

Laurie
Valerie G.
on 11/7/13 8:42 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was very open about my surgery and don't regret it at all.  You already know what the women at work are like, so if you keep it a secret and it comes out, your credibility will be lost.  Just be prepared for flack and more questions, but it's a good thing.  You are doing this for yourself and nobody else.  Declare it and own it - then rock it!

Ellerszoo
on 11/11/13 11:44 pm
Good Morning!
People do talk, that's for sure. I was open about having the surgery before and after. My surgery will be three ago this December 16. I thought about not saying anything but then I thought, "Why?" I felt it was more embarrassing to be overweight and do nothing than to be proactive and take care of myself. In being open about it, I even found out a new friend had the surgery several years ago, so I found a supportive person by coincidence. On the other hand, when people start to tell me horror stories and how they know people that gained the weight back, I just tell them being overweight has so many more health complications. People that gain the weight back have not followed the post op program. It's not a failure of the surgery. When you have the surgery, I feel that it is a trade.... obesity's way of life, for the wls post op way of life and it's very important to know as much as you can about the pros and cons about that new lifestyle. It is a lifetime commitment to follow the new lifestyle to be successful and healthy. If I can help you in any way by correspondence, I would be happy to do so. Good luck to you! Donna
Mimoosmom
on 11/19/13 10:09 pm
RNY on 12/04/13

I just wanted to make an update to this post. I decided to make a post on Facebook and get it out there.  Now I don't have face telling everyone individually and I put my "rules of discussion" out there.  I am really happy with my decision.  Everyone has been very supportive and I don't feel like I'm hiding anything.  This is the post I made on Facebook: 

Today is the day I’ve decided to post and let everyone know that I’ve made a decision to have gastric bypass surgery.   Y’all know me, I’m an open and honest person, and I don’t feel like it’s something I need to hide.  Before anyone asks, I have researched this thoroughly and my mind is definitely made up.  Anyone that has had weight issues should understand what it’s like to constantly lose weight and gain it back over and over again.  I’ve done it all and now it’s time for something permanent.  My goal is not to be skinny but to be healthy.  I want to feel good and be able to play with my grandbabies.  So anyway, this may be too much information but there it is.  I promise I won’t be bombarding your pages with selfies and weight loss advice if you promise to just be supportive.  I really don’t want to hear any horror stories about how you know someone and it failed, they gained all their weight back, they had terrible complications, etc...  I have just a couple more things to do and I’ll be ready so just say a prayer for me on Dec 4th for a safe surgery and recovery.  Love you guys and thanks in advance!

brenlee1965
on 11/19/13 11:18 pm - New Berlin, NY
Good for you. I have heard many say that the surgery was a private "medical" issue and they wouldn't discuss with anyone. Others I think were embarassed to let others know they HAD to do something so drastic as WLS....Then there is ME....I believe that I made the BEST medical decision of my life! I was on the path to death and HAD to do something and after 2 yrs of research....finally did it.RNY was the BEST thing I ever did for ME. Good luck on your journey. It is a RIDE that is well worth the changes! I have lost over 150lbs in a year.
 Bren                
Most Active