Falling off track and having hard time getting back on

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/14 3:01 am - RIVERDALE, NJ

Hey guys I feel like ive been falling off track a little bit more everyday.  Nothing crazy like fast foods but eating more than  I should to not loose weight.  I wish I was just at the mantaning portion of this journey.  So heres what Ive been doing just really grabing eating whole wheat bred as I walk buy...Eating my sons school cold cuts...Any of his school snax we ushually keep in the basement because I ushually wont journey down there to eat them.  Ive come so far but It seems to be harder again.  Any input suggestions would be great(FYI I got to a shrink...im also a drug addict go to na....I go to dieticine every two weeks....my wife locks me in the room at night so I dont eat)   Thanks!!!  Shooting for end of nov for vsg

Kate -True Brit
on 10/22/14 3:49 am - UK

Have you tried counselling? It might be a good idea to get started now, before your surgery. You see, one thing doctors don't warn you is that it is still hard! OK, immediately post-op you can't eat much. But you can still eat the wrong things! And as time goes on, eating gets easier.  

You say you wish you had reached the maintaining stage - sorry, maintaining is hard! And you haven't even got the motivation of seeing the pounds go.

we all know how hard it is. If we could have lost weight without surgery, none of us would have had surgery! 

For the rest of your life, you are going to be fighting food demons, they don't leave you! I truly believe you need help nw; don't wait until the surgery. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 10/22/14 4:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It sounds like you're looking for 'grab and go' snacks between meals.  The unsavory foods seem to fit that bill entirely too well.  The way to remedy that is to pre-prepare some grab and go goodies for yourself to do exactly that.

• Lunchmeat is totally okay.  Get all uppity about it and get the best without as many additives.  My go-to is ham, pepperoni and hard salami.
  • Cheese cubes.  Have them cut and ready ahead of time, so you can grab one or two as you pass by.
  • Deviled eggs - oh sweet goodness.  Keep them hidden so people don't eat them on you.
  • Ricotta fluff (pudding with ricotta cheese), SF Custard or Thelma salad:  Claim your bowl, keep a spoon in it and grab a bite from the fridge when you feel the need.
    You can do the same thing with tuna salad, egg salad, etc.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/22/14 4:01 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

do you track your food? I'd start doing that so you can know overall what you're doing during the day & you can make changes as you move along. I just started to use the app myfitnesspal it works with the Fitbit pedometer I bought a few weeks ago. You can set goals for protein, calories etc on it & logs your water intake also.

Grazing can be a problem try grazing on protein for now, dense protein, carry snack packs like tuna packets or turkey bites etc so that you can snack on that instead of falling for the carbs. Stay away from the bread & refined carbs, it's addicting & it will stop weight loss & you'll start gaining. Sounds like you're at the point of letting in the bad stuff after losing so much weight on your own. Strengthen your resolve, remember everything you've already been thru. You can do this! Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Grim_Traveller
on 10/22/14 4:44 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I agree with tracking your food. I also use MyFitnessPal, and weigh and track everything I eat. If you start grazing or overeating, you can see where the problem is and make adjustments. It really helps keep you accountable.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/22/14 5:43 am

We can outeat. Any WLS surgery... Maybe not at the beginning, but a few weeks or few months down the road. Long term - year or 2 +down the road is so much easier.  

I would suggest you get the eating and binging under control before you have any WLS.  If you don't, not only you may end up with WLS that may cause long term complications, while it not do anything for your weight problem.  Some may make it even worse in a long term.  

WLS is only a tool.  Will not fix your head or cravings. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Stacy H.
on 10/23/14 4:56 am - Cumberland, IN
On October 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

We can outeat. Any WLS surgery... Maybe not at the beginning, but a few weeks or few months down the road. Long term - year or 2 +down the road is so much easier.  

I would suggest you get the eating and binging under control before you have any WLS.  If you don't, not only you may end up with WLS that may cause long term complications, while it not do anything for your weight problem.  Some may make it even worse in a long term.  

WLS is only a tool.  Will not fix your head or cravings. 

Totally agree with this 100%! The truth for most of us (but especially if you are an addict) is that our eating is not about eating at all. After my surgery I started drinking and was alcoholic in less than a year. Now 6yrs later I've battled alcoholism, I gained back 70 of the 140lbs I lost, etc. You have to try to approach food with the same mindset as what you use in NA. For me I was powerless over my compulsion to eat and it did make my life unmanageable...not to the degree or as obvious as the alcoholism but unmanageable nonetheless. Thinking about it constantly, planning around when and what I could eat, sneaking so people would not know, etc. In July at almost 6 months sober (again) and now 9yrs post op from surgery I decided it was time to do something about my weight and I've lost 25lbs since then. At this point I basically have to lose it the "old fashion way" because I managed to outeat my surgery for so long that it doesn't really help me much at this point (other than maybe some of the malabsorption). I would suggest considering Overeaters Anonymous or look into Celebrate Recovery if it is available in your area. I have also joined my fitness pal and it has been a huge help to me. Whatever you do don't give up, you are worth it! Just remember that your disease is centered in your mind and it wants to take you down any way it can. Take it one day at a time and you'll be ok

Stacy :) RNY 9/7/2005

HW-270  LW-125  GW-150

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/22/14 6:52 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Remember your post about the all-you-can-eat sushi?  Go back and read my response.  

The problem with being an addict (be it to drugs/alcohol/food) is that one binge usually leads to "relapse" -- right now, you are probably fighting relapse.

I have found, that for me, it is easier to never "binge" that it is to get back under control after.  Keep talking to your counselor.  You shouldn't have to be locked in a room to avoid eating?  There are some real warning bells sounding -- and VSG doesn't fix these issues.  These are great things to get under control before you're in physical recovery from surgery.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

MegZorar
on 10/22/14 9:26 am

try keeping premade premier protein shakes handy. its very dense--30 grams per shake. i do soooo much better on days when i have 2 of these per day. and the less carbs u eat, the better. ur cravings will get under control

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/14 9:38 am - RIVERDALE, NJ

Thanks for all the input guys!

Most Active