What's life like 4-5 years post-op?

huskergalWsD
on 10/21/14 12:31 pm

Im a regretter of Rny 7 years post op

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

betterme2014
on 10/22/14 4:09 am - Canada

can I ask why?

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

hollykim
on 10/28/14 5:00 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 21, 2014 at 7:31 PM Pacific Time, huskergalWsD wrote:

Im a regretter of Rny 7 years post op

don't you think it would be really. Helpful to the OP and other readers to hear why you so regret your surgery?

Queen_Tatiana
on 10/21/14 12:51 pm

I am 10 years out from RNY and very happy with my choice and outcome.  I've kept all the weight off and weight wise I couldn't be happier with the RNY.

Mari     

WLS 12/27/04 260lbs; CW 136lbs; 5'6

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/21/14 12:52 pm - OH

I am 7 years out from my RNY and although I have absolutely no regrets about having had it, if I were making the decision now (sleeve wasn't an option 7 years ago).  I think it is odd that the patient doesn't get any input into what surgery they want in Canada, but if it a choice between RNY and no surgery at all... Well, that is up to you.

I can eat almost anything in small amounts, so there is no physical deterrent to making poor food choices. For practical purposes, I am not one of the 30% of RNYers who dump.  I can dump, but it takes a lot of sugar to make it happen. I try to make healthy food choices 90% of the time, and I try to avoid processed foods when I can, but if I am really in the mood for pizza, I have pizza. I only have two bites with the crust, though, and then eat just the toppings off the rest of it. On weekdays I usually have some SF/diet hot chocolate with protein powder in it in the morning. that ensures that I get plenty of protein for the day without be having to mentally keep track of it.  

I never counted calories or carbs after about the third month post-op.  It made it feel too much like a diet and I had failed at every diet I was ever on.  My surgeon said that if we made good food choices and ate protein first at every meal, the carbs, calories, and fat would take care of themselves (and, in my experience, she was right).  I don't eat protein bars (except as emergency food since I have mild hypoglycemia) or any special "bariatric" snacks (because most of them are nothing but chemicals)   I do drink diet soda almost daily, but it doesn't make me want to eat more or make me crave anything.

i take vitamins 5 times a day (4 doses of calcium because I need 2000mg (had some bone loss taking only 1500mg), and then some other vitamins and iron (you cannot take iron and calcium together). I have a schedule, so it is routine, but I will be honest that there are days when it is just a giant pain in the ass and I hate that my body doesn't absorb nutrients as it was intended to do.  Worrying about what my vitamin levels are, and the inability to take NSAIDs (any form of ibuprofen or aspirin),  are the reasons that I would choose VSG over RNY if doing it now). A lifetime of lack of vitamin malabsorption just isn't a fair trade for only 18 months of caloric malabsorption and a small amount of permanent fat malabsorption, but I knew what iI was getting myself into, and I would be much worse off if I still weighed almost 200 pounds more!

On the positive side, though, I have lost the weight and am keeping it off.  I now have two replaced knees, so am able to be so much more active (if I choose). My weight is now not a consideration in what I do from day to day or any decisions I make.  Although I think almost daily about the fact that I had RNY 7 years ago (when making my food choices), it is not the focus of my life (but it WILL be for everyone for the first year or so); it is now just part of my medical history, not something that defines me.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

betterme2014
on 10/22/14 4:12 am - Canada

Thanks for your post.

I am finding it very hard to accept RNY when in my head and heart I think sleeve is the best for me. It's making this all a very difficult decision.

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

Goodguy7
on 10/22/14 12:06 am, edited 10/22/14 12:06 am

I am 7 years post op too...life is great.  Life has changed in every aspect.  Socially, professionally, & spiritually. Diabetes is gone and my confidence is in the skies. 

I lost about 100 lbs initially, but regained about 30, so total weightloss maintained over 6 years is 70 lbs

Since then I passed the cpa exam, became licensed, got my dream job, doubled my salary, had many girlfriends,  and got baptized. Confidence is so good.  It shines at my workplace.  I used to just fly under the radar and make little money...after WLS, i got promotions,  new jobs etc... I used to just stare and fantasize about women , now I go out on dates and had relationships with them :)

I still vomit if I eat too much too fast.  I dump if I eat cold cereal...but thats about it for negatives.  For my health my eye dr said my eyes have improved, my kidneys are filtering 1/2 the protein it was 7 years ago, so my body is slowly healing from a decade of uncontrolled diabetes. I know another person who had WLS she lost 200 or so pounds and sadly she regained 150 of it back...I see she is addicted to snacks like pretzels and cookies and was always grazing. Its kinda sad she got the WLS months before I did, and she was my inspiration. I thank god for this all.  

I Look forward to getting married and having children :)

Its not easy, I can easily get back off track..I struggle to maintain this weight.  The hardest part is the snacking

betterme2014
on 10/22/14 4:15 am, edited 10/22/14 4:16 am - Canada

thanks everyone. I really appreciate your honest responses. I want to be healthier that is the main goal here.

~ unknown

brandito
on 10/22/14 4:26 am

I am reading this and wondering the same thing. I'm fortunate to have a choice but the doctor recommends RNY because I'm diabetic. I'm concerned about the malabsorption and wondering why I can't overcome diabetes with the VSG too?  You are all very inspiring though that it's okay if I stick with the doctors recommendation. 

RNY 11/18/14 5'4" HW: 255 SW: 236 CW: 190.8 GW: 125...although 140 may be more realistic...can't comprehend what's possible!

Pre-op -11.6 lbs, M1 -13.6 lbs, M2 -10 lbs, M3 -6.8 lbs, M4 -7.6 lbs, M5 -3.8, M6 -3.0, and counting!

Goodguy7
on 10/22/14 9:59 am

Rny cured my diabetes within days my numbers were normal and  I was off of max dosages of metformin, glucotrol and byetta...

Most Active