What's life like 4-5 years post-op?

Kim S.
on 10/28/14 4:48 am - Helena, AL

Every WLS has pros and cons.  The important thing is that you commit to a complete change of your eating and moving habits-and stick with them for life.  It isn't easy, but it can be done very successfully.  I'm 5.5 years out from RNY-and I don't regret it one moment.  I am sometimes bothered by the handfuls of vits I take daily (more so the process of spreading them out and remembering them all) but other than that, I really don't have any issues.  I'm healthier and in better shape at almost 50 than I was in my 20's and 30's.  

If I had to choose between no surgery and RNY..........for me, I'd jump at the chance to get the RNY.

withgratitudelm
on 10/29/14 5:59 am - NJ

I celebrated 4 years yesterday on my WL journey.  Had the RNY, actually wanted the lap band, but because of GERD was not a candidate for it.  GOD BLESS Dr. Andre!!!!! My only regret was that it took me 59 years to do it!!!! Just remember the RNY is ONLY a TOOL!, you have to make that life change... Heard and know too many people/stories that people have gained it back even with the surgery!  My head still calls out for the old foods at times, but pray to God I never slip back!  Went from a 24 to a size 6!!  Never felt better at age 63!   Good luck!

newbea46
on 11/2/14 11:20 pm - Hanover Park, IL

I too am more than 5 years post-op from RNY surgery and have never been happier with my decision.  When I made my choice to have RNY over band surgery, VSG wasn't even something that I considered.  It is a tool for weight loss and does involve you needing to make good eating choices over the years.  With any surgery, there is the possibility of complications but again, it is individualized and is determined by the type of surgery that you have.  

I have regained my life since my surgery and would do it all over again.  It is tough for the first few weeks and if you make bad decisions with food choices, then you can have dumping syndrome.  This is something I experienced but it was due to poor choices in what I was eating.  You can't expect that the surgery will make you lose weight without your help.  IT IS A TOOL FOR SUCCESSFUL WEIGHT LOSS. 

Family members may not understand what you have to go through but it is worth it.  I have energy that I had never had before.  Taking vitamin supplements on a daily basis is also key to preventing absorption issues.  To this day, I have only had minimal absorption problems which have been corrected with my vitamin supplements.  Again, best of luck to you.  

Most Active