Change in taste

jyamiolk
on 11/7/14 6:18 am
VSG on 10/15/14 with

i have been reading and been told that after surgery your taste changes. I have not noticed this until today. I have been drinking the Unjury chicken soup and Premier Protein shakes and can tolerate them pretty well. Well today I left my shake at home and had to come up with an alternative. I bought a Muscle Milk vanilla shake from the supermarket to have in the place of my Premier a protein shake. Lunch arrived and I started drinking the shake. It actually made me nauseous. Before surgery I loved the sweet flavored shakes like the Chike Bannana Magic and Chocolate Bliss. I had a backup of my Chike shake and tried that. It also made me sick. It was disgusting. This is the first time that I have noticed a drastic change in taste post surgery. I can no longer tolerate the sweet stuff. This is good and bad as I have a tub of the Chike Bannana and the chocolate shake powder. I also found my stash of the GNC lean protein shakes and that was also too sweet. Has anyone else experienced is and with what foods?

VSG with DR. Sharp on 10-15-2014

Age 43 Height 5' 10" HW 306 SW 280 CW 185

GW 195

Bubbles314
on 11/7/14 7:06 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I could drink chicken/beef broth before surgery.  I tried broth in the hospital and it was horrible.  So I tried boullion when I got home and yuck.  I just excluded it from my diet there is plenty other stuff to drink.  Some of the recipes on line have you use a scoop of protein powder, if you cook with it it might not be to sweet.  I am no expert, but it is worth a try.

zballard
on 11/7/14 10:16 am - NYC, NY
VSG on 10/08/14

I have 2 tubs of the GNC Lean Protein powder that now make me nauseous. Fortunately the premade protein shakes taste good to me.

5ft HW 244 SW      

Eggface
on 11/7/14 1:47 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

A Dr just presented some findings at Obesity Week this past week http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ObesityWeek/4846 1 on taste changes post WLS (it was a small study but interesting) I personally think it changes again as we get farther and farther out maybe hold on to it and try again in a month or so. 

Do you have a support group? Maybe ask the leader if you can do a protein swap day at the next meeting. 

You can cook with it too. Maybe make some muffins http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2014/10/post- weight-loss-surgery-menus-day-in_30.html

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

MsBatt
on 11/9/14 1:09 am

Changes in taste are very common after general anesthesia. Hold onto your protein powers that you can't stomach now---try them again in a couple of months. Time can make a world of difference.

Most Active