Vertical Sleeve or RNY? I am confused now!

Kara D.
on 1/14/15 8:38 pm
VSG on 03/02/15

Yes, the same Dr. Schauer. I am glad to hear from someone who is a patient of his! I really likes him and Dr. Brady also. I am thrilled to have a surgeon with his skills and experience. So it's easy to seriously consider his opinion. He told me in his humble opinion, with 20 years of experience, that the RNY would give the best results.

Did you look into his statistics with complications and number of surgeries and things? Others have mentioned doing that. It's hard to imagine that his numbers are average, otherwise he wouldn't be at the Cleveland Clinic. I know the surgery has came a long way in terms of success rate and less complications. It is still scary to me, but then again so is the sleeve. 

Do you mind if I add you to my friend list so we can talk more later? I'd love to hear your progress with your post-op and how things go with his team. 

Thank you for replying.

Kara D.

Abby M.
on 1/14/15 8:59 pm
RNY on 12/08/14

Sure! That'd be great! His stats are great as you would imagine. 

Tracy D.
on 1/15/15 12:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I disagree with your doctor.  It's all about compliance with whichever surgery the person gets.  My sister-in-law had the RNY and would be considered an "F" student, for certain.  Never lost all the weight, doesn't do much of anything they told her to do.  Only lost half her excess weight after several years.   

A good friend had RNY several months after me.  She is very smart and researched WLS thoroughly.  She switched to RNY at the last minute after wanting VSG because she was told by a doctor she would be more successful.  Guess what?  At best she is a "B" student.  Hasn't lost all her excess weight and after 16 months she still isn't at maintenance - a long way from it actually. 

Me on the other hand, "A+" student all the way with VSG.  And that's not me blowing my own horn.  It's my doctor and his NP telling me I'm a super-star and seeing their astonished faced every time they see both me and my husband.  I have lost 100% of my excess body weight and have maintained it for over a year.  My husband lost over 100% of his excess body weight and was sternly told yesterday not to lose another ounce.  

I think picking a good surgeon (which it sounds like you have) is the major factor in getting a good surgery, regardless of which one you go with.  Success afterward:  100% on the patient.  Surgeries don't fail; people fail their surgeries.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Abby M.
on 1/15/15 12:47 am
RNY on 12/08/14

Right. A minimum correct compliance patient has that sucess rate possibility. It doesn't mean they can't fail or not adhere. 

NYMom222
on 1/14/15 11:20 am
RNY on 07/23/14

With a good surgeon, RNY is a safe surgery too. Ask what his complication rate is. I know my surgeon's was below the national average. RNY is not as scary as it was a number of years ago. With the use of laproscopic surgery there are less complications. Make sure you understand why he is recommending it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Hislady
on 1/14/15 12:37 pm - Vancouver, WA

Sounds like this surgeon either doesn't know how to do the sleeves or he just likes RNYs and talks everyone into them. One very important thing with the RNY is that you only malabsorb the calories for 12-24 mos. then the body starts absorbing things again except vitamins, those you malabsorb forever. Long term they are pretty much a tie as far as how much you can lose, it all depends on you. If you really want the sleeve then you may have to find a different surgeon. Good luck!

Han Shot First
on 1/14/15 9:17 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

The most important thing to remember is that any surgery is simply a tool.  They help us get to our weight goals.  RNY, the sleeve, or even the band can work if you use the tool to the best of your ability.  Likewise, any surgery can fail (although it's the person who had the procedure who usually fails, not the procedure itself).  

Also, comorbidities tend to be resolved better with RNY over sleeve.  If you're diabetic, have GERD, or any other of a number of conditions, doctors tend to recommend RNY.

It's your choice, but it's good that you're listening to your doctor.  You can still decide to go ahead with the sleeve, but do the research.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

samuelsmom
on 1/15/15 1:40 am

As a nurse for more than 30 years I can honestly say that doctors have their "favorites."  It may be certain medications or procedures.  Why?  Because they have had success and are comfortable with them.  This does not mean the doctor's favorite is right for you.  And the association with "A" and "C" students is ridiculous and not based on science.  Do your research and you will find that the weight loss is comparable.  As someone else posted, you have to live with the surgery, not the doctor.  Good Luck with your journey!

MsBatt
on 1/15/15 4:50 am

You should get the form of WLS that YOU think you'll be happiest with, not the one your (current) surgeon prefers to perform. YOU must live forever with the consequences---HE does not.

Statistics put a lie to his assertion that VSGers are automatic "C" students while RNYers are automatic "A" students. At about 2 years post-op, the per cent of excess weight loss is almost identical. Even more importantly at FIVE years post-op, they're STILL almost identical. Most people can lose about the same amount of weight no matter which form of WLS they choose, but those who maintain that loss best are the ones who chose the form of WLS best suited to what THEY can best comply with.

I suggest you visit all of the surgery forums---RNY, VSG, DS, and Revision---and talk with people who are several years post-op. About five years out is usually where ultimate success is determined.

Kara D.
on 1/15/15 10:24 pm
VSG on 03/02/15

I know the results and success depends on my desire and compliance. I only plan to do this once and when I put my body through the initial trauma of surgery, I plan to succeed. The GERD is a big concern as well as how the surgery affects diabetics. I am not a diabetic, but I have a family history of diabetes and I want to avoid that at all costs. I know the sleeve will help because of the weight loss, but the RNY is sounding better.

Most Active