Vertical Sleeve or RNY? I am confused now!

Kara D.
on 1/14/15 2:23 am
VSG on 03/02/15

I spoke with my surgeon for the first time yesterday. I am very excited to have Dr. Schauer as my surgeon, he has great reviews, many years experience and is at a top hospital. I was set on the vertical sleeve, but he recommended the RNY. For the amount of weight I need to loose to be at a healthy BMI the RNY is the one I should have performed. I was set on the sleeve because it doesn't disrupt digestion and appears to me to be a safer surgery with less complications. I cant ignore my surgeons recommendations and now I don't know what to do!!

Tracy D.
on 1/14/15 2:43 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

All I can tell you is to get on the surgery-specific forums for both VSG and RNY and research, research, research.   My PCP and surgeon both thought RNY would be best for me too and I've blown their minds with my VSG success.  It was the only surgical option I ever considered.  Fortunately, my insurance covered it and my surgeon agreed with my decision. 

Doctors may have their own opinions but you know your mind and body best.  After careful research, do what your gut is telling you is best for you.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kara D.
on 1/14/15 2:53 am
VSG on 03/02/15

Thank you Tracy for the reply. I have about 130 pounds to lose to get to my ideal weight and the sleeve would probably get me only down to about 200-220 which is still considered obese. I am trying to avoid diabetes, cardiovascular problems and lower my cholesterol, high blood pressure and get my thyroid under control. Were there any articles or websites you found that explained the surgeries best?

Tracy D.
on 1/14/15 3:01 am, edited 1/14/15 3:56 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Let me be clear - there are NO restrictions on how much weight you can lose with the sleeve.  The only variable is YOU!  There are plenty of people on the VSG forum who have lost 200 lbs. and more with their sleeve.  It's all about compliance.  

I would start by reseraching this site and this one too:  https://asmbs.org/.  It's the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.  Good stuff! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 1/14/15 4:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

There's no limit to how much weight you can lose with VSG. I've lost 130 already and would like to lose 70 more. I'm definitely on track for it!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/14/15 4:37 am, edited 1/14/15 4:38 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My starting BMI was over 70.  My surgeon gave me the choice of either the RNY or the VSG.  He said that you will lose more weight initially with the RNY, but the amount of weight lost at the two year point is comparable.

It's your body.  Once I heard about the sleeve, I knew it was the surgery for me.  I had always been uncomfortable with the idea of reorganizing my intestines and creating a blind pouch.  

Ultimately the decision is yours.  You're the one who has to live with it, so if you're set on the sleeve, you should get it.  The only caveat is if you have contraindications for the sleeve, such as GERD.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Valerie G.
on 1/14/15 8:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The sleeve is a great surgery for lightweights and those who simply need assistance eating less.  Many do great, but many discover they need more and end up getting another surgery.  Is eating less all that you really need?  You need to check your heart of hearts to answer this.

The RNY and the DS both combine that restriction with malabsorption, which gives your body a big metabolic kick.  I have seen that risks are more dependent on the skill and experience of the surgeon than the procedure itself.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Poodlemac
on 1/14/15 8:25 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I was set on VSG but because I had horrific reflux and Barrett's esophagus, my doc felt RNY was best for me. I haven't NEEDED a nexium since the day of surgery, though I take it until we re-scope at 6 mos. (because I had advancing barretts we want to be sure). My point, be sure to consider ALL the facts, even things you may not initially think about. As it turned out, I couldn't be happier with my decision or my doctor!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/14/15 10:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The amount of weight you need to lose should make no difference in the choice between RNY and VSG. Other things, that you did not mention, may be why the doc made his recommendation. Severe reflux, internal scarring and adhesions from previous surgeries, need for NSAIDS, etc, all have a bearing on which is the better surgery for you.

Once in a great while, there is really only one choice, because of specific medical issues, but not often. Usually you could choose either and be successful. Amount of weight to lose is not a very big criteria, unless you are so big you need a DS.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Abby M.
on 1/14/15 11:19 am
RNY on 12/08/14

Dr. Schauer at the Cleveland Clinic? He is my surgeon. I had my surgery on Dec 8th. RNY. I also started with the sleeve in mind but after talking to him I changed my mind. He put it to me this way. With sleeve you'll be an automatic C student. Average. Average is good, even great for the goals we have here. If you put in your best you can be a B and go all out you can even be an A. 

With RNY your starting point is a B instead of a C. So being an A student is really easy. I'm a competitor so I decided on RNY. I think that the additional changes will really get you into yourself and not set expectations that you may eat "normally" ( like you used to) again. It's a new ballgame and you need new skills and understand what works and how. The whole team with Dr Schauer is awesome and know their stuff. The decision is up to you. If you don't mind later converting to RNY from sleeve then that's another factor. I just knew I wanted to get in there and knock it out of the park and get the best of the best and RNY is what I felt was the best for me. I think you should do some statistic research and see what you come up with. There isn't a wrong answer. It's your answer and it is personal. 

Most Active