Vertical Sleeve or RNY? I am confused now!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 1/15/15 11:26 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Hello I just wanted to share this great study on the sleeve that basically shows your surgeon is wrong on which will work better. Facts can help you make the best decisions.

https://asmbs.org/resources/sleeve-gastrectomy-as-a-bariatri c-procedure

MsBatt
on 1/16/15 6:21 am

Okay, if you're worried about diabetes, also research the Duodenal Switch. It has the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes. The DS has a Sleeved stomach, plus an intestinal bypass that causes permanent malabsorption of calories. (With the RNY, the malabsorption of calories lasts only about 18-24 months.) Because of this, a larger Sleeve can be done, reducing the likelihood of causing GERD. (I Had horrid GERD pre-op, and my DS completely cured it.)

hollykim
on 1/18/15 6:15 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM Pacific Time, Kara D. wrote:

I spoke with my surgeon for the first time yesterday. I am very excited to have Dr. Schauer as my surgeon, he has great reviews, many years experience and is at a top hospital. I was set on the vertical sleeve, but he recommended the RNY. For the amount of weight I need to loose to be at a healthy BMI the RNY is the one I should have performed. I was set on the sleeve because it doesn't disrupt digestion and appears to me to be a safer surgery with less complications. I cant ignore my surgeons recommendations and now I don't know what to do!!

why can't you ignore your surgeons instructions? He is not the one who is going to have to live with the choice. You are,so you should make the choice you can best live with. And make work long term.

there are many ppl on this very site who have lost over 150 # with the sleeve. I personally have lost 118# with a sleeve stomach. 

Surgeons receive more money for doing the RNY than the sleeve and thT often guides their recommendations as well. How many sleeves has he done? Perhaps he is not confident in his ability to do a proper sleeve? If he hasn't done many sleeves and that is what you want,I would find a surgeon with the experience to do it.

Kara D.
on 1/18/15 11:59 am
VSG on 03/02/15

The same reason I asked for advice here so I could have more information. He only presented another option I hadn't considered. Since then I have researched both surgeries more and am getting closer to making a decision I can li c e with. I still have a couple more appointments before I can even contact his office to get started with final approval with insurance. I do appreciate the advice, it's a point I keep coming back to and it is one of the reasons I haven't completely decided what to do.

MsBatt
on 1/19/15 2:25 am

Good for you---research and education are probably THE most important part of having long-term success with WLS. There's no reason to rush into anything, and every reason to wait until you're absolutely 100% sure you're doing what's right for YOU.

gram247
on 1/19/15 10:13 pm

I was advised by my medical doctor to have the sleeve & my surgeon recommended the RNY. 

My own research showed me the sleeve had less post op compilations and long-term side effects and I cjhose the sleeve.

I am 3 1/2 years AND LOST 200 LBS! I have fewer digestive issues than my sister how had the rny in 2003 .

Good luck with your decision. It is not easy but so well worth it.

Kara D.
on 1/19/15 11:06 pm
VSG on 03/02/15

Thank you gram247. It is a hard decision.

gram247
on 1/19/15 11:15 pm

Unless you have to make a fast decision, make sure you do your research. Ask your doctor for names of patients who have had the proceedure s to help you make an informed decision.

losing_the_band
on 1/19/15 11:55 pm
Revision on 08/27/15

I'm sort-of in the same situation, except I'm looking into both by my own volition.  I started out with the lap-band in 2009, and had to have it replaced in 2011 due to a massive slip (my insurance at the time wouldn't cover a revision to another type of WLS).  My second one is now having issues, and I'm getting sick of issues it causes (too tight in the morning, too loose in the evening, food getting "stuck" sometimes but not other times, etc.).  I was originally only interested in the VSG, but then I realized that I'd just be going from one restrictive procedure to another, so I should look into my other options.  I have PCOS and super-slow metabolism, so I like the idea of the metabolic kick in the pants, as one of the earlier posters mentioned.  I'm also leery of having another surgery that doesn't have long-term data yet, since I fell into that mistake with the band.  When I got my first band, they were still projecting that it would have equal or better long-term success than RNY, and we all know how that's turned out.  I've got a meeting with the surgeon tomorrow, so I plan on seeing which procedure he thinks would be best for me.

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

RW76
on 1/19/15 11:56 pm, edited 1/19/15 11:58 pm - Medina, OH

I also had Dr.  Schauer for my surgeon almost 4 years ago and he too recommended the RNY for me due to diabetes.   I had it set in my mind I wanted a VSG for a multitude of reasons mainly for the intact pylorus valve and the fact it could be upgraded to DS if i ever needed more.

He was more than happy to do the VSG and said the great thing was no matter what my choice it was going to work out well for me.  I have no complaints and he did a great VSG procedure on me. 

And lastly, I would never ever ever convert from VSG to RNY, VSG to DS sure....

Pre Op: 415  SW: 390  Goal: 235 CW: 225

Most Active