Calorie intake

CMR1075
on 6/8/16 6:44 am
VSG on 01/15/16

So I've noticed since I started working out 3 weeks ago that I'm hungrier throughout the day. I'm almost at 5 months post op and not too certain how many calories a day I should be consuming. Typically I was around 800 a day but since adding a workout routine 4-5 days a week it's bumped up to about 1000. I wonder if this is too much this soon after surgery? I emailed my nutritionist this morning to ask the same question but figured I'd post on here as well since it takes a day for her to answer. Plus, you guys are the experts on this stuff and would know best :)

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/8/16 6:47 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

How long have you been at the 1000 mark? Have you been losing still? Is your appetite more under control? If those are all yes, I would keep on goin with your bad self :)

If your losing has slowed or stopped, then it may be too much right now

What types of calories are you adding? protein?

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

CMR1075
on 6/8/16 6:54 am
VSG on 01/15/16

It's only been the last 3 weeks since I started working out so I'll either eat a protein bar, a piece of sting cheese, a hard boiled egg, rolled up deli meat or something to that effect. My appetite seems under control now that I've added a little snack in between. Usually it's between breakfast and lunch when I feel like I'm starving all of a sudden. I have still been losing, although it's slow. I did lose 3 lbs last week though, this week I hover at the same weight so far, but it's only Wednesday.  Of course, I was slow going with the weight loss the last month so it could just be my body slowing down on fast losing. 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/8/16 7:01 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Guess it would be up to you on if what you're losing is quick enough or not. Slow is always better for our bodies and healthier. 

Those all sound like pretty good options, the only one I'm not sure about is the protein bar (normally full of lots of sugar or sugar alcohols and carbs). If it works for you though, they say dont fix what isnt broken :)

Some others may have more input, maybe better

I have seen a lot of people saying not to add calories in if you work out. I have no idea whether thats sound advice or not (it goes against what I've always known and heard). Granted, in the past I've heard for every 100 calories burnt its like

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Laura in Texas
on 6/8/16 9:43 am
On June 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM Pacific Time, Chris "Thick-to-Fit" Tufano wrote:

Guess it would be up to you on if what you're losing is quick enough or not. Slow is always better for our bodies and healthier. 

Those all sound like pretty good options, the only one I'm not sure about is the protein bar (normally full of lots of sugar or sugar alcohols and carbs). If it works for you though, they say dont fix what isnt broken :)

Some others may have more input, maybe better

I have seen a lot of people saying not to add calories in if you work out. I have no idea whether thats sound advice or not (it goes against what I've always known and heard). Granted, in the past I've heard for every 100 calories burnt its like

Slow weight loss is not necessarily better or healthier.

We need to maximize our weight loss during the first 18 months to get to goal and stay here. It is much harder to do after that.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SkinnyScientist
on 6/8/16 1:43 pm

"I have seen a lot of people saying not to add calories in if you work out"..

I typically agree because in general most people exercise probably 1 hour a day at most.  The calorie burn can be as low as 250 calories to as high as 453 calories depending on how intense the exercise is.  So it is easy to overcome the calories lost from exercise because 300 calories is nothing...really it is..

Now, some people decide to take up long distance running while losing weight and they go out for insanely long runs (11-20 miles) and burn something like 2000 calories over a 3 hour period....some go for a whole 6 hours. Anyway, they clearly need to eat soemthing along the way.

But as i have been observing even these long distance runners can GAIN WEIGHT (i.e. get fatter not stronger) because they are hungry after their run and think "I just burned 2000 calories"   So they drink the beer and eat the cake/cookies they feel entitled to and soemtimes with great zeal!

So if you are going to fuel...make it the low calorie, high vitamin, high nutrient fuel. Dont fall into the 'it is just ONE NUTTER BUTTER trap" that I see a lot of faster, longer but FATTER runners than me do as of late.

Skinny

Who fuels with dates and baby food. No kidding...this week it is banana and orange mash from Gerber...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

CMR1075
on 6/8/16 7:49 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

I for sure am not reaching for cookies or cake after a workout, but I do grab a protein bar. That's what usually sets me over the 800 calorie range. I know everyone says to stay away from them but I only eat OhYeah bars or Quest bars. Both have a lot of protein and lower carbs than most. I get tired of eating meat all the time so the protein bar is a nice change. It's either that or I eat protein chips from Quest if it's not meat or eggs. 

SkinnyScientist
on 6/9/16 12:41 am

On the cake...I am specifically thinking about my pacer. He is complaining he is getting fat and there is a pie place near his house. He ate a bacon apple pie the other day ...

Well, anyway, my pacer is an ultramarathoner, meaning he runs 52+ miles in a race (like 13.1 or 26.2 isnt enough) and averages 100+ miles A WEEK just in training. To give you an idea, Skinny is a mere 30-40+.

If dude cant outrun a bad diet NO ONE CAN (IMHO).

I hear ya on the meat. How about a yummy protein shake made with water. How about HALF of a protein bar (Quest is still a good 230 calories..I have an emergency pumpkin spice one in my office). At any rate, if you divide them (i.e. Quest bars) you got to eat them over the next 24 hours or they get as hard as a rock and you can break you teeth.

But bacon apple pie..NOW I think I have seen it all.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

dog_hair_dinner
on 6/9/16 5:23 am
RNY on 03/01/16

> he runs 52+ miles in a race

jesus

CMR1075
on 6/9/16 6:06 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Bacon apple pie actually sound disgusting 

But I will try your suggestion as well with the half of a bar. Sometimes that's all I can finish anyway but lately I will eat half and then finish the other half a few hours later. I like the idea of protein shakes too. I'll try it and see how that goes. I know what you mean about the protein bars getting hard lol, I found that out right away since I don't eat them all in one shot. Good thing I work for a dentist though if I do break a tooth ;) 

All these rules for weight loss surgery makes my head spin at times lol. Maybe I'll just stick to eating some cucumbers. I love them and they are basically like eating water hahahaha. 

Most Active