Exercise - what's your favorite?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/29/16 1:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I absolutely hate running. Outdoors, treadmill, whatever-- can't stand it. Slower than a slug. I get sore. It's demoralizing.

But I absolutely LOVE taking my bike out. I haven't had much time since my son arrived, but before I got pregnant I would take my bike to the paved shared-use path near my house and ride 20+ miles on a Saturday morning. Maybe I'm not the fastest rider, but I can keep up a respectable pace and keep going for HOURS. Plus it's a chance to get some fresh air, blast some music on my phone, and just have some "me time."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/16 4:56 pm

Weightlifting, any exercise class except yoga just because I am immature, walking, climbing stairs, swimming, playing with my kids!

swim_bike_smile
on 6/29/16 8:12 pm
RNY on 06/13/16

I get bored if I don't mix it up, but here's what I've tried:

Kayaking

Rowing (on a team, competitively and non-competitive-- I learned as an adult)

SUP (stand up paddleboard)

Cycling (criterium races, mtb, leisure)

Hiking

Yoga (Ashtanga and Bikram)

Weightlifting

Gym classes (Core, kickboxing, 'group power')

Dancing

Swimming (I joined a master's team)

Going to try:

Krav Maga-- (my husband and I are going to start taking classes in October when the weather cools off)

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/16 6:26 am

This is the THIRD time I wrote this post and it hasn't posted - what's up ?

NHPOD9
on 6/30/16 5:41 pm

That's ok. I think most of us know which activity you enjoy most. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Racewalker48
on 6/30/16 8:52 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I enjoy weight training, walking and dancing.

SkinnyScientist
on 6/30/16 11:06 am

ice skating!

It is cold so you dont get too sweaty.

You can see measurable improvements sometimes over one class.

When you get really good you can go round and round fast and really get that heart beat up.

going forward and backwards uses different muscles.

It isnt hell on the knees (unless you are jumping).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

cabin111
on 6/30/16 5:21 pm

I hear the Boston Bruins are having open tryouts!!  They need a defenseman or two.  Are you ready??  Just kidding...But there is one guy on the Men's Forum that is back teaching pee wee (junior) hockey in the Midwest.  And they do have many adult (no contact) hockey teams now...JUST SAYING??

cabin111
on 6/30/16 5:14 pm

I ride my bike a lot.  I go to the doctors, lunch, pay my bills, bank, church, visit friends.  You need a fairly light bike...And get it serviced good.  Where the handle bars are located and how good (and wide) the seat is makes a difference.  If you have access to a truck you can always put the bike in the back of the truck.  Find a local school (elementary, junior high, high school, college) and ride around those during the weekends.  If you go to Google Maps, one of the drop down tabs (menu) will show you the bike paths in your area...They are in green.  It's a very handy tool.  Brian  PS  When it is raining I will put on rock music (real loud) and make walking paths around the house...Just listen and walk.  I will pick up a 2 pound weight and just move it around my body.  If you don't have a weight...Find a can (or two) that would work for you...Basic-simple.  No one sees me...I close the curtains so I don't look strange...

Jackie N.
on 7/1/16 5:39 am
RNY on 06/24/15

Thanks for the school tip!  I hadn't thought of that.  I live fairly close to two elementary schools.  They don't have a track, but just the area around the school would be good for riding or walking.  

Most Active