Healing means no supermom cape

Danna78
on 7/19/16 6:58 pm

I don't know about you guys... But before surgery if I had a day off and a million things to do,  I inevitably would amuse myself with other things and get nothing productive done.   Now,  4 days post op,  and needing the down time to heal I am finding myself incredibly bored and pushing myself too fast to heal. 

I came out of the hospital the day after surgery feeling pretty good... A little hunched over,  but expected that!   I've been sleeping and taking my pain meds religiously.  Getting all my vitamins in and drinking like a fish.   I even am getting 70+ g of protein in the past two days... Woohoo! 

BUT -  yesterday I thought a change of scenery would be nice so instead of strolling my property (3/4 of a  acre) my boys and I decided to walk around our crescent... I should have turned around after house 4...but I pushed on... And was carrying me belly home by the end of it.   Lesson learner. .. Not quite ready for long walks yet. 

Today my boys had a Dr's appt so I thought OK... No walking but I can still get a change of scenery by going for the drive.   My work (salon)  is on the way and hubby said he would drop me off for a quick visit while the boys had their appointment.   The drive is 30 minutes.   At 10..i felt OK... Even said to hubby I might be able to drive myself to my one week checkup on Friday.   At 20 minutes in I was ready to puke and couldn't wait to get out of the car. 

CLEARLY I am NOT ready to be out and about   I have been nauseous all day and uncomfortable too.   No excess pain just overall not good.   I officially am hanging up my supermom Cape for the next week and will tackle my adult colouring books when I need a change of scenery! 

Who knew recovery was such hard work (my first surgery experience) 

Kudzu
on 7/19/16 7:07 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

I'm making notes here of what NOT to do after surgery because I can see myself in this same situation. ;)

But love seeing another adult coloring book person. Love them! 

SoCalDee
on 7/19/16 7:58 pm
VSG on 06/24/16

I understand completely.

After my surgery I felt really good. Went back to work after a week and half off and all I kept hearing from my co-workers was.... "you look really tired" or "are you sure you are ok?"

Apparently I wasn't quite ready to go back. Took a few extra days and really slept a lot. And viola! No one has told me I look tired in a few days now.

Take care of yourself. Get the rest you need, your kids will understand and will be so happy when you feel better.

5'0 Heaviest 247.4 Surgery Weight 236.0  Goal 140

*Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable*

Valerie G.
on 7/20/16 5:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yeah, definitely take it easy.  Make sure you're drinking plenty on these outings, too.  The nausea makes me think you got dehydrated, perhaps, and it can come on fast.

Also, start assigning some new chores for the boys.  It was during my recovery that my 11 yr old son learned how to do laundry.  He really shined at what he was capable of, and he was happy to help, knowing I was unable to handle the load for a  while.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active