Head vs. Heart

MTS31801
on 9/30/16 2:27 pm

A friend of mine had the Gastric sleeve done earlier this year. I was messaging with her on FB today and asked her how her weight loss was going. She said it was slow but steady. She also informed me that even though she had the surgery and her stomach is half it's size, and knowing she can't eat as much her head is still telling her to eat what she wants. She still wants all the bad things she wanted before surgery. She says it is a struggle each day. Someone sent her a post on FB about a new Ice cream shop opening up in ur area. She posted "OMG".  When I saw this it made me sad.

I know surgery is a tool, I know surgery isn't a quick fix, I know your head will interfere if you let it. I told my friend "Don't look at stuff like that"!  Scan over it if your on FB, walk away from people describing New restaurants and recipes that are not healthy. Sabotage is all around us! We have to get and we have to have a mentality that "Our life is and will be changing"! We don't like what we have become. That is why we are putting our bodies through SURGERY! We need help in order to get our bodies back into a healthy state.

Once an alcoholic realizes he has a problem he removes himself from the bar, night clubs, and liquor. No matter how much his heart or head are screaming for him to take that first drink he's got to deny his thoughts. It's not easy, and yes it's emotional. But if we are to succeed we need to remove ourselves from unhealthy temptations. 

Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years are right around the corner. Plan now how you are going to address the situations that will arrive. If going visiting eat healthy before the visit. Inform people now not to give you Sweets as gifts , don't think of the dishes you won't to be able to stuff your self with. We need to be wise and to protect our resolutions.

I have not had my surgery yet. I am only jumping through the insurance hoops right now. I don't want to put my body through surgery and be given a tool which will help me to succeed only to ignore the dangers out there that my tool has no control over. I want my head and my tool to work together so I will reach my goal and regain my health!  FB, TV, Magazine pictures, New Restaurants,  Holidays, recipes, Social functions I put you all on notice NOW! I will not look or entertain or participate in your  activities.

To keep myself motivated I will watch "My 600 lb. Life" to scare me and show me what loosing control can cause me! I ask God  to help me through this journey, I take this journey one step at a time and one day at a time AND one pound at a time!

roxytrim
on 9/30/16 2:47 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/30/16 3:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm glad you're trying to help your friend, but your post makes it sound like you know better than she does.

As someone who hasn't had her own surgery yet, I'd suggest you tread carefully.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MTS31801
on 9/30/16 3:38 pm

I know that your head is a very great threat to your progress in anything you are trying to accompli****end to learn from other peoples mistakes. I really just wanted to post my views on what I want out of my surgery when it comes around and to reflect some encouragement for others. I can not control anyone but my self. I can only encourage her and support her. I am just disappointed that she has gone through this process and could fall back into bad habits.  Sorry if my post comes off as I know better that those who have already been through the surgery. That was never my intent. So as you have suggested I will tread carefully and will try not to offend in the future!   

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/30/16 3:45 pm

Your friend commented 'OMG' and you interpreted it that she is planning on eating it. Ice cream, cake, and chips are not sabotage. Just because they are not good choices for WLSers doesn't mean commenting on a post featuring them will tempt us beyond reason.

Head hunger is very real and it can be hard to deal with. She is being honest about her head hunger and her struggle. 

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

mute
on 9/30/16 4:23 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

18 months out and I can tell you that I haven't given in to any food cravings once. Have I wanted to? HELL YES. In NYC last week I saw a million things on restaurant menus I wanted to eat. 

I still go out to eat once or twice a month. I didn't stop living just because I had the surgery. I make a MILLION times better choices. It's much easier now than it was at 3 months out when I found it terrifying. 

Walking by the kitchen at work when there are donuts or cookies or bagels is still one of the hardest things I have to do. Because I have issues with food obviously. 

Be careful with glass houses.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

MTS31801
on 9/30/16 4:33 pm

Thank you all for your understanding! I won't post again! 

Gwen M.
on 9/30/16 4:45 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If you only want people to agree with you, then you probably shouldn't post anywhere.  But if you want useful and helpful feedback, and to be exposed to differing points of view, then please, keep posting.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 9/30/16 6:36 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Why angry? Flaming face? When you post there are going to be responses. Agree and disagree....As they say - take what you like and leave the rest. This is a hard journey, and food still tastes good, or at least in our minds....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

MTS31801
on 9/30/16 6:55 pm

Thanks I appreciate your response! The negative responses just took me by surprise. I've cooled down!

Most Active