Alternatives during pre op

VakAttack
on 11/4/16 6:19 pm - FL
RNY on 11/16/16

So, I'm working my way thru the pre-op liquid diet.  So far it's just been water and protein shakes.  I'm going to work some broth in probably tomorrow.  However, I'm wondering if there's other stuff that can be recommended to break up the monotony?  Gatorade seems out, but what about fruit juice?  Coconu****er?  I really hate Jell-O, but I understand that is ok?  Also, last question, and maybe this one is moronic, but are fruit smoothie acceptable during the first week?  Go easy on me, just a person trying to escape insanity.

White Dove
on 11/4/16 7:07 pm - Warren, OH

Sugar-free popsicles are good.  Fruit smoothies are not a good idea until all weight has been lost.  Not a good idea then either.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

VakAttack
on 11/4/16 7:20 pm - FL
RNY on 11/16/16

I don't particularly care for smoothies anyway, I'm just trying to break up the monotony right now where all I get is sweet.  Maybe the broth tomorrow will alleviate the problem.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/5/16 4:26 am, edited 11/4/16 9:26 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

SF popcicles got me and still get me through some trouble spots (I had one last night and I'm 2 years post-WLS).  Post op they gave me fluids at a slow rate (I also had an hiatal hernia repaired so the sip sip was really important for me)

In all honesty, I think Smothies are really out - the fruit and other things in them are generally high cal, rarely much protein.  Perhaps Wheat Grass Juice - but forget anything that tastes good.  I know someone post op who adds 1/2 banana to their prot shakes and blends it.  Bananas have near zero protein, so I don't know why they do it and they didn;t lose all their weight.  They are prob doing other things that add 50 cals here, 50 cals there, and all of a sudden your weight loss stops before you want it to. 

I would think the clear boullion/broth would better - jus****ch the sodium and calories also. 

Best wishes on your WLS

Sharon

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 11/4/16 7:31 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

I know this isn't the same for All surgeons, but mine allowed liquid yogurt ( kefir) and cottage cheese. That really helped me get through the pre op liquid phase. Did they provide you with any information on what you can or can't have pre- op? 

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/4/16 7:35 pm

I used decaff coffee to mix with vanilla or chocolate protein shakes. 

Fruit juices or coconu****er have a lot of sugar. I continue it even when I am below my goal. Liquid sugar is the worst. IMO.  SF popsicles, or homemade SF pudding (the ready to eat SF pudding has too many Sugar Alcohols in it) . 

Mixing protein powder with some crystal ice drink mixes.. - I hated that - but some people loved it. 

You can try to drink nice chicken stock - add some salt and pepper..

There is also chicken soup flavored protein mix (unjury) that some people like (i did not) 

You can try to mix unflavored protein powder into chicken stock .- clear chicken soup.. But that was a go-to for me. 

For my preop - we used optifast shakes and they had very nice tomato and chicken soup mixes. That was great. 

Good luck. That phase is not going to last forever. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 11/5/16 8:01 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Avoid anything that has calories. Fruit juiceis way too high.

Powerade Zero is good.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/16 8:50 am
RNY on 11/22/16

Check with your surgeon. Mine had a list of what I can and can't have. 

Most Active