Nine days until surgery and I cheated!

newdonna
on 11/9/16 12:36 pm
VSG on 11/18/16

So yesterday, after day four of my pre-op liquid diet, I cheated. I am feeling disappointed and worried about my liver not being small enough to perform the surgery. I ate a plate of shepherds pie. I was so hungry and my family was eating it for supper...I know...not a good enough excuse. I feel horrible about this and of course today I am bouncing back and doing what I need to do.

Kathy S.
on 11/9/16 1:29 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Stop beating yourself up!  I know the surgeon's today make a big deal out of the pre-op diet and the liver shrinking but I never did it and had surgery.  Move forward and stay the course. This is hard!  If it were not we all would be skinny   

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

newdonna
on 11/10/16 6:53 am
VSG on 11/18/16

Thank u so much for ur support - i'm back on track!

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/16 3:50 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

Chin up!! I am pre-op too and on the liquid diet. This is hard! I'm 13 days away from surgery. Today is a new day!

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/9/16 3:52 pm
No Biggie! Just a learning curve. Just give your self permission to move on.

Many doctors don't even require a liquid diet.....so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Scott
White Dove
on 11/9/16 5:08 pm, edited 11/9/16 9:08 am - Warren, OH

I always prepare for the worst and then am relieved if it does not happen.

There is a reason for the liver shrinking diet.  The liver blocks the area they are working on and they move it out of the way.  If it is too fatty or hard they can't do that.  So they are doing the surgery with part of where they are working blocked from sight by the liver.

Sometimes they try to perform surgery anyway.  Some surgeons will close you back up and send you home to do your liver-shrinking diet over before they will operate.

Some surgeons will continue to operate and risk nicking the liver during the procedure.  If they do accidentally cut the liver, they will attempt to control the bleeding during the surgery.  If it continues to bleed then you will need another operation to fix the liver.

I hope you stick to your pre-op diet and are able to get your surgery as scheduled and with no complications.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

newdonna
on 11/10/16 6:55 am
VSG on 11/18/16

Thank u for the info - I am back on track and focused...I had that one slip up and I am determined to be successful the rest of the way.

ttfan
on 11/10/16 2:39 am
RNY on 08/15/16

This was a topic at my group meeting last night! My clinic requires you to lose 10% of your weight or you have to do the liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. Our surgeons have closed people right back up and made them do the liquid diet again.  But one lady did cheat on her liquid diet and a lady in there that had been closed back up because her liver was still to fat said to her how are you going to follow the diet after surgery if you can't get a grip on it now?  I was mortified that someone would say that to that poor lady, but I guess it is a tough love type of thing.

High weight 335,Surgery weight 293.5,

M1- 24.5 lb,. M2 14, M3-9.5, M4- 7.5, M5- 6.5

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/16 6:37 am

It's not a big deal. Many doctors don't even require the pre-op diet. I actually gained more weight pre op.

Keep in mind that all success in life is built off failure, and you have many more times you cheat pre and post op. I'm 2 years out and still make poor de isions on a daily basis, but overall I'm still down a ton of weight.

newdonna
on 11/12/16 10:34 am
VSG on 11/18/16

Just wanted to give a little update... Surgery is on friday- 6 days away and I have been doing well with the pre op diet. I have read that the 3rd and 4th day are usually the hardest...and so far I can say that that is true. I am down 13 pounds and aside from being happy about that I have so much energy! I wake up and I do stretches, I now am motivated to start exercising - zumba youtube videos with my daughter - and as a family, we made the decision to begin eating gmo free!!!

Most Active