Surgery is Friday - any comments or tips or words of encouragement would be gladly...

newdonna
on 11/16/16 5:35 pm
VSG on 11/18/16

I learnt how to better control myself during the difficult pre op diet. I also learnt that a diet high in protein and veggies gives me much more energy than one higher in carbs.

Surgery is Friday at 6:30am and I'm nervous but mostly excited and thankful that I get a second chance to eat right and healthy. And with so much support now from the hospital team and this beautiful support group. Looking forward to a new me.

What should I expect?

NYMom222
on 11/16/16 5:45 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Good Luck Friday! Walk as much as you can tolerate. Drink/sip as much as you can tolerate...while the protein drinks are important getting the fluids in in general protein or not will get you feeling better faster the first couple of days.... Not that getting the protein in isn't important, but more people have problems in the beginning from lack of  fluid and dehydration than lack of protein. When they suggest simple carbs during puree stage and things- don't do it.... Take it slow and you can do this! Tic Tacs were my savior for nausea... sucking on one helped a lot. And Sugar free popsicles will be your friend when you want to bite something...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

newdonna
on 11/16/16 5:53 pm
VSG on 11/18/16

Thank u

Donna L.
on 11/16/16 8:52 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If you have never had surgery before, expect to be nervous and tired.  It is perfectly normal!  I was terrified even though I had abdominal surgery three times before the VSG - two were emergencies, even.  It was almost relaxing to have WLS in comparison, lol.

Sleep if you need to sleep.  Rest if you need to rest.  It may not seem like it, but even following the dorky liquid/puree progression will help in the long run.  I had my surgery in June of 2016, and it may sound weird, however I remember that time and how I was able to follow it, and it helps me stick to my diet now.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

G2GAWAY
on 11/16/16 11:31 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I had RNY about a year and a half ago. I wish I had done it years before. The first couple of weeks are the toughest. And you will be tired at first because you have undergone surgery, but it is ALL worth it in the end. Know that your energy will just get better and better. Take your vitamins, drink your fluids, and move a bit more each day. Keep up the high protein, low carb program and you will see amazing results. Don't be frustrated with stalls along the way. Just keep doing the right thing and it will come off.  Good luck.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Insert Fitness
on 11/17/16 4:17 am

You got this! Pre op was the more challenging phase for me.As others said:sip and walk, walk and sip. Don't be too hard on yourself, these are big changes! And post or check in here often!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

seattledeb
on 11/17/16 2:24 pm

Early post surgery: sip fluids,take deep breaths(have the nurse in the hospital show you the best way,take pain medicine if you need it,AND hang out on OH and keep asking questions.

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/16 4:42 am
RNY on 11/22/16

Thinking of you today!! Good luck with your surgery!

Most Active