Coffee - yay or nay?

jenorama
on 12/5/16 3:43 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I have probably always been sensitive to caffeine and was just too dumb to figure it out!  :D

Jen

Heather P.
on 12/5/16 3:56 pm

Well last week it took me a week of eating raw veggies every day to figure out they were making me sick.  It was my first time eating them since surgery and it didn't go well.  

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/16 9:34 am

When my GERD gets really bad - coffee makes it worse. Coffee is - can be acidic. Adding cream or mil can help with that. or adding acid tamer. (google that), 'I had to give up so much different foods due to RNY - I started drinking coffee app 2 years post op.. unless they can show me that coffee causes damage to my pouch - I am not giving that up.

i do limit my coffee to 3 coffees a day. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Renren
on 12/5/16 11:11 am
VSG on 12/02/15

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Renren
on 12/5/16 11:14 am
VSG on 12/02/15

You can see by my coffee wall above how much I love coffee. I was unable to drink it for 3 months following surgery, It gave me acid stomach. But now I have some everyday with no problems. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Heather P.
on 12/5/16 11:18 am

Ha!  I love it!   

I haven't had any trouble from it so far, just wanted to get some opinions :)

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Eggface
on 12/5/16 3:55 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

While you are healing most programs ask that you avoid anything that may irritate what is essential a man-made ulceration (the surgery itself) Coffee is just one on a list of many items acidic, chunky, seedy, fibrous foods, etc to avoid for a period of time usually 4-8 weeks... after that programs vary but most allow in moderation or as tolerated... because there is a lack of scientific studies and thankfully most programs are not run by sadists. LOL. Those that say no to something and you don't get why... I'd ask individually... sometimes it's just easier frankly for programs to say no across the board to something than answer questions and if anecdotally they have had some patients have issues with a particular thing saying no beats getting a call to go to the ER, etc.

Personally, I stuck to decaf everything for 1 month. I had my first cup of fully leaded coffee after that and had no issues. I personally think my love of coffee helps me not want to snack, gives me a little energy boost and shoot since I suck a****er most days it's a major source of fluids for me. I add a splash of soy milk so some liquid cals/protein that need to be accounted for in my day. It's about the only vice I have left LOL. gotta have something ;)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Heather P.
on 12/5/16 4:39 pm

Very true.  I actually look forward to my cup of coffee each morning.   I just love it. 

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Donna L.
on 12/5/16 6:14 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have not read anything about it causing ulcers after 6 months.  I will keep an eye out though, because I drink enough coffee daily to kill a very small elephant, so I am curious now!

Generally, there are two reasons you get stomach and duodenal (yes, you can get them in your duodenum) ulcers: NSAIDs (even non-WLS) and h. pylori which is a bacterium that lives in our body.  Rarely, some other medications cause them.  I vaguely recall some psych meds also may cause them.  Anyway, the main reason for avoiding acidic foods is, as people mentioned, irritation thresholds.  If you take NSAIDs and drink it increases your chance.  Smoking too, maybe?  I don't remember.  Anyway!  Coffee is not made of h. pylori or NSAIDs, unless that's some really weird coffee.  Stress can also cause them because cortisol causes cascade effects, like raising blood sugar unnaturally, many of which weaken tissue.  

So, eating risky foods with other risk factors is bad.  If you have a healed pouch or sleeve, do not have other risk factors, and you have 1 cup of coffee, chances are minuscule, I would argue.  If you take NSAIDs, are very stressed, eat spicy food, have a compromised immune system... it might matter quite a bit to drink coffee.  It might be best to avoid it, then.

Most general advice is tailored to avoid liability.  Medical professionals get sued very easily these days, so it is going to be very conservative.  If the nutritionist gave you the OK, I would not worry too much.  If you experience discomfort or reflux though, scale back immediately, might be a good plan :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Heather P.
on 12/6/16 4:29 am

Thank you that was very helpful!

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Most Active