Coffee - yay or nay?

Heather P.
on 12/5/16 6:38 am

I am about 8 months post op and I started drinking coffee again at about 6 months out.  My NUT told me I could drink coffee again after 6 months but I have been reading more lately on how WLS patients should not drink coffee because of the increased chances of stomach ulcers.  Any opinions on this?  

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/5/16 6:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Where are you reading this? Are they random articles, or actual scientific research pieces? Have you spoken to your surgeon?

From the science I've read, the biggest concern is that caffeine can interfere with absorption of calcium and iron, which can be a problem if you're not up on your supplements but not a problem if you space out the coffee and the pills. There's also concern that it can cause ulcers, but this has neither been studied nor proven with WLS patients.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Heather P.
on 12/5/16 7:22 am

I am part of several facebook groups for WLS patients and I have seen that some other surgeons say no more coffee because of an increased risk of ulcers.  My surgeon's office only told me to take my vitamins two hours before or after my coffee so that is what I have been doing.  That's why I ask on here to see if other people have been told something different from their surgeon's office as far as coffee goes.

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Insert Fitness
on 12/5/16 7:40 am

My clinic advises against caffeine as a precautionary measure. Sparkle kitty is right though, I haven't found any wls studies regarding this. 

But, caffeine can increase stomach acid, which won't cause an ulcer on its own, could make things worse.So while I'm sure the occasional hit is fine, 3 ventis every morning might be a different conversation...

I switched to decaf last January and haven't looked back. I still get the yummy goodness, without the caffeine.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Laura in Texas
on 12/5/16 7:40 am

My surgeon says to avoid it because the caffeine can stimulate appetite, but it does not affect mine. I am 8 years out and drink 8-10 cups a day. So far, so good. I would not be pleasant to be around if I did not have my coffee 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Donna L.
on 12/5/16 6:04 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

That's interesting.  We were taught it suppresses appetite.  Goodness knows if it increased it, I'd be in trouble!  I'd probably have eaten a whole car post-op by now, lol.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Heather P.
on 12/5/16 7:46 am

Thanks ladies, I have one "cup" (probably equal to 2 cups) in the morning and sometimes have a little in the afternoon if I am very tired.  I wouldn't say I drink a lot of it.  

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/16 12:12 pm
RNY on 09/26/16

Thats about what I do too.I have given up so much, I refuse to give up coffee!. and since I gave up all soda i don't drink any caffeine during my work day.I just think everything in moderation is ok providing it is not causing any issues. I have known people who drink caffeine, in some form or another, all day long. I think I might have in my previous life too. when i would switch from coffee to diet coke then maybe iced tea at dinner. I am not having any issues with my calcium or anything else so, I enjoy my coffee so much!

jenorama
on 12/5/16 8:52 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Be careful and pay attention to how you feel. I discovered that my stomach is sensitive to caffeine after I started having gastritis. I went no caffeine for six weeks and had no problems. Now I limit myself to 2 fully-leaded coffees a day and if I want more, it has to be decaf. It took me too long to connect caffeine with my stomach issues which could have lead to an ulcer. I'm not going to say no coffee because coffee is glorious, but be careful early out and pay attention to how you feel. 

Jen

Heather P.
on 12/5/16 9:10 am

Thank you, I will try to be very observant if I have any discomfort. :)

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Most Active