People not commenting about weight loss

Cathy H.
on 12/28/16 10:41 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

It could also be they are jealous and therefore won't remark...you never know.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/29/16 4:28 am, edited 12/28/16 8:28 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I commented once - really complimented - someone on their weight loss - at the end of a WL support group and the woman got so upset.  I do not say anything about weight anymore - maybe a Did you get a different hair cut - nothing about weight. 

Take some photos of yourself so you know how much you've changed.  And put stars on them to celebrate your success.  Keep up the good work.

Sharon

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/29/16 5:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I'd lost over 80 pounds before anyone commented.  Once it started happening, I wished that it hadn't. 

It is incredibly rude to comment on someone's weight.  When we are heavy, we can't imagine that being called "skinny" isn't complimentary -- but guess what?  It isn't.  We have no idea what lies in people's backgrounds.  My girlfriend who is a recovered bulimic can be set off by someone complimenting her weight loss and how great she looks.  When people go on an on about how great I look, all I hear is how bad they thought I looked when fat.

More than that, not all weight loss is good.  My friend's husband was constantly complimented on his amazing weight loss -- up until 3 weeks before his death of pancreatic cancer. 

Long and short: it sounds like you have polite co-workers.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

catwoman7
on 1/1/17 7:09 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I experienced something like this (person with cancer) as well.  I was on a committee once with someone who probably weighed 400+ pounds.  I ran into her at a reception once years later, and I didn't even recognize her.  She was at a normal weight.  She had to introduce herself to me, and I was just floored.   I went on and on about how fantastic she looked, and she responded, "unfortunately, it isn't a good thing".   I didn't ask - but I noticed her obituary a few months later.  She'd had ovarian cancer.  So anyway, I now understand why some people don't ask - or comment.  You just never know.   And for me, too - it took a 70 or 80 lb loss before people started noticing.  But then I started out at 373 lbs.  At 300 lbs, I still looked enormous.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Brandi Girl
on 12/29/16 6:05 am
WLS on 10/18/11

Very few if any of my co-workers commented on my weight loss right after surgery. I later found out a couple had concerns that I was possibly ill because I had told no one of my surgery. But if your co-workers are aware of your surgery then I agree it would be annoying! Mentioning weight to anyone can be very difficult but to make the comment you are looking really good is not! People are usually quick to critic and slow to compliment sad to say.

z_m14
on 12/29/16 6:35 am
RNY on 07/05/16

The external gratification is great, but it does get old after a while. Since I am away at college for many months of the year, many people at home do not see me until I come back for breaks. I have had numerous people come up to me and tell me how good I look since I've lost weight. People that don't know I had surgery have even commented. 

I'm the type of person that finds those comments nice, but I immediately want to change the subject. It only makes me think about what these people said about me at my heaviest. 

I also know a lot of people who rarely give compliments. Your coworkers may just be those type of people.

Pokemom
on 12/29/16 8:59 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I just think it is awkward to comment on people's body in specific ways.  A general "you look nice today" is one thing, but comments on how big of a change there is make me uncomfortable.

for example, There is a man in my church who always calls me "slim" now, in a way that feels creepy.  I have known this man for years, and he is a joker who gives everyone nicknames, and I know he has good intentions. But every time he says it, it makes me feel like he is ogling me.

Even good friends who comment--and who know how to be polite, will say something like, "do you feel so much better?"  I know they are trying to emphasize health over beauty. But any comparative comment begs too many back thoughts.  Like, did you think I was not trying to be healthy before?

also, comments are often followed up with questions about what have you done?

what I appreciate is people just saying hi! Great to see you!  You look great!  Something that could be said any day of the year.

i also appreciate a few good friends who will comment when I ask for feedback on clothing choices.  But these are always at my request.

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/16 1:00 pm

I have found that people really don't see us as we see ourselves. I have friends who say you were that big before surgery when I tell them how much I weighed. 

They loved me anyway. They saw my heart and not my body. 

Even losing over 143 pounds I will not say anything to someone unless I know them well. It can be like asking someone who is pregnant and is not.

Insert Fitness
on 12/29/16 1:44 pm

Meh, I'm fine either way.im visiting with a lot of people I haven't seen since pre op. Most know I had surgery, some don't. Most comments have been generic about looking great etc. People who see me on the regular basis haven't mentioned it much. 

I know I wouldn't comment on someone's weight loss unless I knew it was intentional. And even then, only if they brought it up. 

Ive also had two family members approach me to find out more about surgery, which I'm happy about. 

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Vinasu
on 12/29/16 6:58 pm
RNY on 08/10/16

I would never, ever comment on anyone's weight or weight loss at work, or really with anyone who is not immediate family.

It doesn't mean I don't notice or don't care. It means I'm trying really hard to do unto others as I'd like them to do to me. Weight is so private for so many people, me included.

HW: 250+ SW:215 (W leaving hospital: 224!)

CW: 138; DR GW: 166; MY GW: 130

M1: -20, M2: -8, M3: -14, M4: -11, M5: -8, M6: -5 M7: -7 M8: in progress

Most Active