Suggestions for family physical activities?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/23/17 12:39 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Oh, I live in the Pacific Northwest were there are lovely walking paths and beautiful crap to see outdoors.  

I live in the rust belt.  

I have my choice of suburban subdivisions without sidewalks with Gladys Kravitz Stepford wives power walking, abandoned steel mills, dodging bullets in the ghetto of boarded up abandoned neighborhoods, or walking around a run down mall for scenery.   Our greatest export is depression.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/23/17 1:31 pm

But dodging bullets is excellent cardio! It's like a cheaper version of American Ninja Warrior.

We live in what is considered the dirty gym sock of the state. It's a lot nicer and cleaner than it used to be, but when we first moved here we had to live in the ghetto and the pulp mills ran 24/7, perfuming our burg with their lovely scent. Blech.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/23/17 1:53 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Do you live near Yacama?  I hate it there.  Overall, I've always liked Washington.  Not as much as Oregon -- but that's because Oregon is home. 

I am always asking myself why I don't live in Oregon -- where I am from -- near my mama on the coast. 

Then I remember:  there's no jobs there.  :-(

The cost of living is so high where she lives, too.  But there is no doubt that we (my husband and I) are PNW people.  My dream places to live are Bend or Yachats, Oregon; Puget Sound area in WA; Moab, Utah; or Missoula, Montana in the United States.  The list grows overseas...

I do love working with the people I work with here, however.  There's something endearing about a place that refuses to be forgotten and the myriad of immigrants that became the working class here in my city.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/23/17 2:37 pm

I live in Tacoma, south of Seattle. It used to be fairly industrial, but now the copper smelter is gone and it is pretty nice. Much cheaper than Seattle. There are quite a few jobs here, but I don't know how many are in secondary education.

Sainted Husband went to Job Corps in Yachats. He wants to retire in Bend.

We drove through Moab years ago. It was lovely.

seattledeb
on 2/23/17 4:12 pm

Moab is beautiful but have you been there in the summer??

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/23/17 4:31 pm

Ha, yes, that is when I was there. Picture it: Bill and I are driving to the armpit otherwise known as Wichita, KS. It's early July. We are in his old Chevy van that was a Ma Bell fleet vehicle back when there was a Ma Bell. We go through Salt Lake City at 10 am and it's already 100+ degrees. No AC, so we have the old 2/40 going (roll down the windows and do 40). All of a sudden we start smelling gas. The inline fuel filter leaked all over the doghouse from the underside, and soaked into the carpet. We had to stop and replace it.

So we get that done and continue onward. We get out into the middle of nowhere and run across this little town, population 3. It was Woodside, Utah. A tiny gas station, an old guy, and his two dogs.

We did eventually get to Moab, and continued on our merry way.

Woodside:

Image result for woodside utah

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/23/17 1:51 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Maybe you can play find the bullet holes? lol, but nah I can't think of anything family like other than games like laser tag or paintball.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

seattledeb
on 2/23/17 1:23 pm

Sweet Lola! Enjoying the sun today. About to go to the dog park with the one dog that can.

The off leash dog park was a happy destination for me and my son when he was younger. 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/23/17 1:34 pm

No joke, we saw an elderly pug being pushed in a stroller down on Ruston. Her human said she loved the outdoors but was too elderly to walk more than a block or so.

We gauge Lola's energy by her tail. The more tired she is, the lower it goes. If we don't pay attention, she will lay down on the sidewalk and refuse to budge.

seattledeb
on 2/23/17 2:15 pm

They make dog stroller now. I see them everyday at the dog park. Usually with a pug in them. 

Most Active