Suggestions for family physical activities?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/23/17 3:24 pm

There is a fat, standard-size red doxie in the neighborhood, and his mom takes him out in a trailer attached to her bike.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

rocky513
on 2/23/17 3:05 pm - WI

I'm looking for a used stroller for our old Sheltie.  She's 13, arthritic, and has congestive heart failure.  She can't walk very far, but loves to be out with us.  I think she would really like being pushed around in a buggy, wind blowing through her fur.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/23/17 3:54 pm

Oh, I bet Craigslist is just the thing for that. Lola would love being pushed in a stroller, even though she loves a good walk.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/23/17 1:54 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I just threw my back out carrying my overweight 15 year old lab down the stairs today  --- in her cloth diaper.  LOL.  I call that my workout for today...

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

seattledeb
on 2/23/17 4:14 pm

My friend's wife keeps bringing home old hospice dogs. He had a new rule now. They can't weigh more than 40 pounds. It's crazy at his house.

Notaboutperfect
on 2/23/17 12:35 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

I am struggling with this with my five year old in Minnesota--so challenging!! 

When the weather is good it's easy, biking, swimming, parks, golf,  etc.    Winter is the hard part.  There are some fun indoor things that I haven't tried yet.  Whirly ball is one I'm looking forward to trying that your son will likely enjoy.

Thank you for asking this question, I'm excited to see everyone's ideas!

P.S.  you could dance too, I doubt you'll look like an asshat

Gwen M.
on 2/23/17 12:50 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I like the Pokemon suggestion :)  

I've enjoyed strange things like the local rock/wall climbing place, the trampoline park that has a ninja warrior type course... I really want to do parkour, but the closest option is too far away for my current lifestyle.  

Your family should do parkour.  Then tell me stories about it and make me jealous.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/23/17 1:02 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Being that my son is a lot like me -- awfully cute but decidedly clumsy and not naturally athletic.  

The first time we watched my son play football (soccer), I turned to him and apologized.  He just shook his head.  My husband was an amazing football (soccer) player.  His sister is a pole vaulter -- it runs in their stupid skinny family...

Parkour -- I see a huge ER bill with my husband laughing hysterically as he becomes some regional legend at it -- in like 2 weeks.  

Did I mention that he's naturally super athletic and graceful?

He's also naturally slim.  He loses weight if he misses lunch once.  Maybe more annoyingly, he gains muscle mass by simply lifting a gallon of milk twice. 

I love him in spite of these terrible flaws.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

crqvingchange
on 2/23/17 12:59 pm

Most community centers have family swim times.  Races in the pool are fun (hopping, backwards, running, one legged).  Find out if there is a trampoline center near you.  

I like all of the other suggestions, these were just a few I could think of.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

jenorama
on 2/23/17 1:32 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I was listening to NPR the other day and they had an interview with a guy that had built a mountain biking track inside an old warehouse.  I believe this particular one was in Cleveland, so it might be close by you?  That would be a good opportunity to do something super active out of the weather and your son would likely enjoy the daredevil aspect of it.

Jen

Most Active