Need to drop 13 pounds to be booked for surgery... help!

Sheepie
on 3/1/17 10:50 am
VSG on 05/31/17

So the hospital will not book my surgery unless my BMi is below 50.  I am currently 333, and I need to be 320 before I can call back to hopefully book.  Any tips?  Ideas?  Still have not seen the dietician yet, she has been faxed with my information, but I would love to get a jump start on the weight loss as soon as possible!

HW: 340 SW: 310 CW: 196.6 GW: 170

landy
on 3/1/17 11:01 am
  • Start logging your food and drink right away.  The NUT will want to get an idea of what you are eating and drinking, how much and when.  Some people use MyFitPal.com to log food.  I like to write everything down in a journal.
  • Weigh and measure everything you eat and drink. I started with just looking at the serving sizes on containers, so I knew how much to have.  (rice 1/4 c, etc)
  • Exercise.  Even if you only walk 10 minutes a day.  It will help.  Log that too. 
  • Drink water, cut out caffeine, carbonated drinks, juice, etc.  Water, water with Crystal Light, Vitamin Water Zero....

I'm pre-op VSG, 48 days into a 3 month program.  I was told to lose 10 pounds in 3 months.  I took what the NUT said after my first appointment and made it work well for me.  I'm almost 20 pounds down already.  I was down 10 before I even had my first NUT appointment. 

You can do this!  

Best wishes! 

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

rachelp
on 3/1/17 11:04 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Cut all carbs. No bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, flour and absolutely no sugar. Eat only meat and non starchy veggies, cheese, eggs. You can research the ketogenic diet. This will be the fastest way to loose weight. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/17 11:08 am, edited 3/1/17 3:12 am - CA

Try eating like a post op.   You will have to eat larger volumes, but if you focus on dense proteins, non starchy veggies and keep your caloric intake to where you can cut about 700 calories a day, it would take you about 8.5 weeks to meet the 320 goal.  

A couple of suggestions:

Use lean proteins, turkey, chicken and fish.

Veggies should be low carb/non starchy

Steer clear of sugars and any fruits or fruit juices.

Steer clear of condiments that are high in sugar.  

Use Plain Greek Yogurt in place of Sour Cream.  

Roast your veggies using a little olive oil, even better coconut oil (less fat/cals)

Don't drink your calories.  Increase your water intake as much as possible.    You can use crystal light as an alternative if the water gets too boring.  

Increase your exercise (walking will do) and that combined with your meal plans should enable you to lose the weight a bit more quickly.    

You can calculate your BMR here:  http://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html

Once you enter your info, this will tell you how many calories you burn inactively.   It takes 3500 calories burned to lose one pound per week.  

You MUST cut all simple carbs from your diet.  Avoid all pastas, rice, bread.  Even if they are whole wheat   Find other alternatives.  When you have questions about what can be used, ask us and we can give you some more suggestions.  

Hopefully, you will find this somewhat helpful.   

Good luck

Nik

Sheepie
on 3/1/17 11:20 am
VSG on 05/31/17

This is all fantastic advice!  Thank you so much!  I have the appointment with the dietician on March 8th, thankfully I don't have to wait for too long.  I will start logging asap!

HW: 340 SW: 310 CW: 196.6 GW: 170

rachelp
on 3/1/17 12:50 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

Be careful because most dietitians will tell you to eat fruit and carbs. Right now, for the quickest weightloss, just don't.

Rachel B.
on 3/1/17 12:22 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Best thing you can do for yourself right now is to cut all the carbs.  potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, sugars, high sugar fruits.  I use the fitbit app on my phone to track all my food, and then it syncs to my fitbit account and I can see all the protein, sodium, carbs, calories and fiber in my foods and for my total day.

Good for you for getting a jump on it!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

mkbd1669
on 3/1/17 12:51 pm
Lap Band on 02/14/14

Lots of walking helps me. I never liked walking just to walk. I like to have a destination so I take my dog  to the local hardware store where they give her dog treats! She gets the treats and I get my walk a in! 

Valerie G.
on 3/1/17 1:01 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Great advice here - kicking the carbs.  Stick to meat and green veggies.

If you do find it not working, a liquid diet is cruel and unusual punishment and only works short-term, but it can get you a surgery appt.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kathy S.
on 3/1/17 2:17 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

What everyone said...protein, protein, protein.  Go as low as you can with carbs and move!  I had a hard time walking when I was 330 and would go to a grocery store or even better a Costco and used the cart to help me walk and I walked and walked and it helped.  We look forward to you posting your surgery date

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active