What is your why for having surgery?

Dee_Caprini
on 10/16/20 10:18 am
I asked this question in my local bariatric group a few months ago and it was a great post/discussion for us. So I'm curious with you all and this will absolutely be helpful for some of the newer people here! What is your why for having surgery? Not the usual "to get healthy and lose weight" reasons that we all have, but the different, out of the box reasons.
Want2beMe
on 10/16/20 1:03 pm, edited 10/16/20 6:04 am
VSG on 08/17/20
  1. I have a blood clotting disorder and being over weight increases my chances of getting a blood clot.
  2. To look down and see my toes, not a huge gut when standing.
  3. Be comfortable looking in a full length mirror.
  4. Eat new foods and get away from "comfort" food.
Dee_Caprini
on 10/19/20 10:13 am

Those are awesome! I like being able to see my toes too! I still have issues with seeing myself in a full mirror. It's weird. I think ANY food can be a comfort food if you let it!

Tekish
on 10/16/20 2:49 pm

1) My health. No, my life. I was carrying 1/4 ton extra, so I could see a near future that was right around the corner where I would not be able to move and things would start going wrong until one of them got me;

2) I also have a blood clotting issue. My blood clots and the clots continue sucking blood out. This has killed me once and almost killed me once; I didn't know about it when I had the RNY. If I had, I would have probably done it anyhow.

3) I wanted to do stuff. People looked at me crazy when I said I wanted to run a marathon. Post-op I ended up running 5;

4) I wanted to give my wife a more active husband;

5) I wanted to do "stuff" better with my wife;

The thing is that it turned out I didn't have a great grasp on what I wanted after I lost weight. The things I thought I wanted pale compared to the things I got.

One activity I did pre-op was a 50 things I wanted to do after surgery. I accomplished weight goals I never even believed possible, did many of my 50 things and skipped a couple others.

I'm surprised how self assured I've become, and I was no shrinking violet before. Part of me is still fat, but not a big part any more.

Tek

catwoman7
on 10/16/20 3:14 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I was afraid I wasn't going to live to see my 60th birthday.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Dee_Caprini
on 10/19/20 10:16 am

So very valid!

Kathleen W.
on 10/16/20 4:15 pm - Lancaster, PA

1) I was struggling to get behind the steering wheel. End of the day, my cloths were filthy from the wheel rubbing against my stomach.

2) Couldn't cloths to fit around my gut,

3) Struggled to clean myself after going to the bathroom if you get my drift,

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Dee_Caprini
on 10/19/20 10:19 am

I feel this one... I hated that I had to adjust the steering wheel "up" for me to fit into my SUV. I hated sitting in the back seat of anyone's car too

And yes, I catch your drift for being able to clean yourself. That was difficult for me too

SidneyLeiFrances
on 10/16/20 4:30 pm

It is simple for me. I want to LIVE.

White Dove
on 10/17/20 6:16 am - Warren, OH

The director of my surgical center always asks this question of a new patient. She always tells about one guy who said he wanted to look down and see his dick. He said he was so fat that he had not been able to do that in years.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active