Knee Problems pre-surgery

malkee
on 8/11/10 3:28 pm
VSG on 10/25/18
 My surgery is two weeks away and I am concerned because my knees are not in great shape. I recently had cortisone shots in both knees recently and am currently in physical therapy.  The orthopedic surgeon told me I would need knee replacements in a few years. Anyway, I have heavy duty on the advil of late which I know has to end soon.(I have a torn meniscus in one knee at least, and the surgeon says arthroscopic surgery won't help.)  Tylenol generally doesn't work for me.  Without treatment, I basically can't walk, and I am concerned about avoiding blood clots post surgery. I will discuss this with my physician when I meet with him next week but I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has any input or suggestions.   
jdruski
on 8/23/10 6:07 am - Philadelphia, PA
Sorry I just saw your post and hopefully by now you are on the Loser's Bench.  I have both bone on bone knees and walking is extremely painful.  I am about 60 lbs. from getting the surgery even though I had wanted to lose more.  I am also 4 years out.  I started to take Celebrex and it has helped otherwise the only other thing was the Percocet and they only make you stupid for 4 hours at a time. 

Check with your WL surgeon about Celebrex.  Also hopefully they would have talked to you about a Vena Cava Filter to help with bloodclots.

Best Wishes to you

Jeanne
kukukat
on 5/21/11 3:41 pm - Belmond , IA
I have this same concern. I'm scheduled for surgery in 6 days and right now my normal day has become such a challenge just to go up and down the two steps of my front door, in and out of my car, to use the toilet... need I go on? I believe that there will be a better day, but I also know there could be some hellish ones before I get there.
DamronC
on 12/2/10 8:48 am - OH
Just waiting for my first appt. with the surgeon, in 2 weeks.  I too am having severe pain in both
knees and hips.  I alternate between Aleve, Tylenol Arthritis Formula and Advil.  When I work I can barely tolerate the pain.  I had arthroscopic surgery on left knee in Sept.  Told I need knee replacement within next year.  Right knee just as bad.  Did your wl surgeon have any sugestions for treatment?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 111 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2348 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3551 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4818 views