knee replacement

tart
on 9/16/10 10:25 am - Washington, DC

Help!!!  I live in the DC area.  I weigh 450 lbs down from 615 lbs (Feb 09).  I had lap band surgery to help me lose the weight.  I have severe arthritis in both knees.  I cannot walk.  My Dr (James Cobey) agreed to perform the knee replacement surgery on both knees after pre-op therapy.  The National Rehabilitation Hospital agreed to admit me for pre-op aquatic therapy.  Now for some reason the Dr will not return my calls.  Does anyone know of an orthopedic surgeon who would consider working with me?

detj
on 9/17/10 9:13 am - Silver Spring, MD
Dr. Brian Evans at Georgetown has a stellar reputation.  202-444-8766.  Make sure you take recent standing and lying view knee x-rays in with you when you go in for your first appointment.

Good luck
Don

tart
on 9/20/10 2:46 am - Washington, DC
Thanks - I will give him a call.
MsBatt
on 9/20/10 5:52 am
I'm not trying to discourage you, but at 450 pounds most surgeons are not going to want to do knee replacements. I was told I needed both of mine done, but that at 395 they most likely would NOT be successful.

I then had my DS done---seven years ago---and have lost a lot of weight. I still haven't replaced my knees, because now I can manage, and I want to wait as long as popssible since I'm only 52 years old.

I'm curious why you chose the Band at such a high weight. Did you research the DS at all? It's been shown to give the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, especially for those of us with a starting BMI greater than 50. The Band, on the other hand, has the LEAST good long-term results.
tart
on 9/20/10 8:12 am - Washington, DC
Thanks for replying - I have severe arthritis in both knees and cannot walk because of the pain.  Dr James Cobey of the Washington Hospital Center told me in Mar 09 that he would perform knee replacement surgery on both knees at 450 lbs.  Now I think he is backtracking since I am now at that weight.  I choose the band because it was an emergency situation plus I have a history of blood clots (PEs).  I have reduced my weight from 615 lbs to 463 lbs since Feb 09.  I am happy with the band thus far.  I appreciate your response.  Please keep in touch [email protected].
jlh1962
on 10/13/11 11:07 am - OAKWOOD, OH
 Ms Batt, I'm not sure you want to wait too long to get your surgery, especially if you're already bone on bone. The longer you wait, you are wearing down your bones...and you want a good fit when you get the replacement...and if your bone is worn...this isn't going to be a 'good' fit. Hope this makes sense for you. I'm 48 and I need both of mine replaced but am waiting for after WLS because it will be easier for the surgeon and for me when I have to do PT.
All in all, it is a one's personal choice.
MsBatt
on 9/22/10 6:03 am
Well, you are doing VERY well with the Band. I hope you're one of the lucky ones and continue to do well with it.

Let me know how the knee replacements do. For some reason I'm scared to have them done. I never hesitated about having my guts sliced and diced, but cutting through bone---it gives me the shivers just thinking about it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 111 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2348 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3551 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4818 views