Enbrel

hazelnut6
on 4/10/11 4:18 am
My Rheum doctor wants to start me on these injections once I'm all healed from my pending pelvic surgery.  Anyone have any experience with it?  What type of side effects did you have.  Do you self-inject?

I cannot use methotrexate because I have 7 nodules in my lungs that my Rheum feels is RA related. 

He wants to keep me on the Plaquenil as well.  He's very good at working with me to stay away from steroids and nsaids.  So he's trying other options to help with the pain and progression.

Susan B.
on 4/26/11 7:49 am - Benicia, CA
I take both Enbrel and Plaquenil, and have for years with pretty good results.  Remicade infusions once monthly really helped, but knocked out my immune system, and I work with kids so that's not an option.  I self-inject Enbrel with no problems besides fear after the first few times!  Sometimes I miss those NSAIDS, but the weight loss saved my life.  Good luck!
Tammy G.
on 4/26/11 4:16 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 I've been on Enbrel since March 2000.  I self inject.  It is easy and painless.  The only biggie with Enbrel (and other biologics) is the possibility of frequent infections.  Before Enbrel I couldn't turn a doorknob or insert a key into a lock.  It has been a life-changing med for me.  
hazelnut6
on 4/30/11 7:45 pm
Thank you for your help...it's really lessened my anxiety!  I'm at the point now where I can't wait to start it despite the risks....this upper back and shoulder pain is getting worse.  The Tramadol and Lyrica (on top of the Plaquinel) is not working!!  I can't walk, sit or lie down for more than 15 minutes before I"m in awful pain.  Lately my knees are hurting too...been a while since I've felt that.

My surgery has been delayed until July (at my request despite my surgeon's reservation) because I just couldn't take the time off from work.  I would have lost 3 weeks of pay!  So the Enbrel will be delayed until after. 

One thing I want to spend some time doing if I can free up the time to do it..is research more on foods that aggravate and/or cause inflammation and ones that help to reduce it.  I think this will help me a lot during those flare ups which seem to be more frequent lately.

Tammy G.
on 5/12/11 12:36 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 Tumeric, used in Indian cooking, is supposed to be a good anti-inflammatory.  I'm sure you can find lots of resources.
ruggie
on 7/5/11 12:56 pm - Sacramento, CA
I've taken Enbrel for many years. You'll inject yourself into your fat, such as the thigh.

Enbrel works wonders, but there are some drawbacks, since Enbrel depresses part of your immune system to modulate PA and RA. You may have more frequent infections and/or longer duration of infection. Additionally, taking Enbrel and other drugs in its class puts you at a higher risk of lymphoma (cancer) since your agonizing TNF-alpha, one of many powerful immune compliments used to naturally fight cancer.

Check out the list here: http://www.enbrel.com/possible-side-effects.jspx

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 111 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2348 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3551 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4818 views