What is safe for arthritis after RNY.

trishashton
on 9/11/12 6:12 pm - PA
I had the RNY surgery on 12/19/11.I was on Prednizone for very painful hands,back and shoulder area from arthritis. I have lost 80 lbs and I was told after bloodwork that there was high levels of something in my liver that the doctor didn't like.He said that prednizone was never meant to be taken for as long as I was on it.So In May of 2012 I started to be weaned off it.I have been completely off it since Mid June. I went from having no pain to being in constant pain. I have since lost the Cobra health insurance I had since the death of my husband 5/17/11. I need to know if there is something generic that I can  get that will stop the pain,and not cause some other health issues.I had the surgery in Langhorne,Pa.,I now live in Clearwater,Fl. Any information would be a big help.  
Sandy404404
on 9/23/12 11:34 pm
 No replies to this question worries me.  I'm  finding out this week whether my heart is OK to have by-pass surgery.  This should be my last hurdle to clear before a date is set for surgery.  I have aches and pains from arthritis and wonder what is tolerable and affordable if I can't handle the pain. The lack of replies makes me think nothing is the answer.  I sure hope I'm wrong.  Please clarify.
trishashton
on 9/24/12 5:37 am - PA
I currently have no insurance,so I called my Dr back in Pa.to explain the whole messy situation. Since the Dr.here in Fl. still didn't have my records I was technicaly still a patient of the Dr. in Pa.{was for over 25 years} He didn't want me to be in pain,so since I was off the prednisone for months and we already knew that it worked well for me, he called in a script for me.I started back on it on the 14th, and I only have some small pain in my hands still. I remember that part took longer to go away.The Fl. doctor was going to put me back on it as well{to be fair} however he wanted me to come in{$65.00} office visit,and have bloodwork done{$100-$300} which I just plain don't have.The Prednisone is a generic drug and is around $11.00 Cash-without insurance.I hope you are able to look into this and it works for you.I am still trying to get a job down here in Fl. and once again have health insurance to fall back on.I feel bad that I can't do the bllod work for my RNY surgeon.He is such a caring man,and I feel like I have let my part of the relationship of Patient-Dr down.What can you do though.One more thing I have to deal with by myself since my husband passed in 5/11. 
FinallyFit1
on 10/22/12 10:42 pm
Good Morning
I hope this email find you pain free this morning.  I also have severe pain and was wondering what the prescription was for that the doctor wrote for you.
Thanks so much for any information you can give me.

trishashton
on 10/23/12 12:44 am - PA
I am back on Prednisone 10 mg as I was before. I only have the occasional pain in my knees if I do any kneeling for a clean up.Other then that I don't live in constant pain any more. I worry about the liver enzyme levels being to high,but as I have no insurance and don't know if I will ever have it again,I'll do what I have to to get by day to day.Since I can't get my scheduled blood work any more,I'll hope for the best.The Prednisone is a generic drug and only cost abut $6.00 at CVS
Rachel P.
on 10/1/12 7:08 pm
Hi, after discovering severe arthritis in my hip in late July, I was put on celebrex, there are new findings that it's not that bad for wls even though the warnings are still printed on the insert with the rx. Studies were recently done. I had hip replacement 9/6 and needed blood thinner shots that I had to argue with insurance to cover so in the meantime I did the big no no & took aspirin as my thinner, had no problems but long term would be a different story. Prior to finding out what was causing my pain I was taking tramadol that ha been prescribed for my rNY & later for a kidney stone, it helped a bit
jdruski
on 10/28/12 9:21 am - Philadelphia, PA

Rachel, talk to your GP surgeon about Celebrex.  It works wonderful but it will after long term use cause ulcers.   I am talking from experience. 

The only things that are try PAIN relievers that can help RNY group are percocets and any of the opium drugs.  I have also taken the Percs for 5 years and I have been fortunate not to have the drug take over my life (i.e. addiction) but after a certain amount of time it just doesn't work and the amount must be increased.  Tramadol works for some people and not for others.  Again there is an addiction factor with that also.  I find it helps with when my legs kick around at night time. 

Cost wise  Tramadol is probably the cheapest for an uninsured person.  Oxi is over $100.for a month supply, Celebrex I don't even know the price but my co-pay is over $100.00 and there is no generic.

To the lady who doesn't have insurance is there a Medicare program in Florida.  I know that many of the states are eliminating health care for the poor and down and out.  Perhaps you can look into if you are covered by any of the new Obahma care.

I have had bone on bones knees for over 15 years.  At one point I was over 500 lbs.  I work every day and some days I would cry my entire walking time.   I am down over 200 lbs. but the pain was still as intense.  I had a tkr in January and will have my other knee replaced in January 13. 

Good luck to you all.  I hope that you find the answers that you need.

PaintedKitten
on 1/17/13 5:13 am - Bristol, CT
RNY on 02/14/13

This is one thing that worries me no end as a newbie. What if I go through all this and I still live in pain every day? You've lost 200 pounds and still have pain. I worry that I've done so much damage to my knees that losing weight won't help. Let me know how your knee replacements go. The thought of having to go without nsaids is unthinkable - not sure what I'm going to do. 

Nancy

jdruski
on 1/17/13 12:35 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Hi,

Speak to your ortho doc.  An ex-ray of your joints will tell the tale.  I could have weighed 90 lbs. and would still have pain.  I get operated on the left knee this Monday.  I had to come off of the Celebrex on Sunday that past and I am in hell.  I never realized how much of the pain they took away.  I am back to percs this week and come next week I will be on nothing.  OK demoral the day of the surgery. 

I really suggest you talk to your gastro doc before you continue on the nsaids.  I am on my ulcer meds for 3 months and the med is expensive.

Good luck to you.  Please keep in touch.

Jeanne

dianes7676
on 3/15/13 12:25 am - Tucson, AZ

Looks like I came to the right place. I had RNY 4 yrs ago and have lost 100 lbs and kept it off. I do however, have severe arthritis in my spine. Can't take nsaids or aspirin, I did for awhile but now have stomach ulcers. For 2 years I was taking Vicodin and it worked well for awhile but just talked to my doc yesterday to tell him it doesn't work anymore. He put me on MS Contin which is extended release. I told him since I have had RNY the extended release doesn't work very well. He said to just try it, well, guess what, it doesn't work at all. How do I get the message across to my doc that I can't take this???? Why don't they listen? Do you or do you know anyone that takes an opiate pain killer that works and do you know what it is?  Any help will be appreciated! To all of us in the predicament, I feel your pain.

Diane
Surgery day: 252  Current: 180 Goal: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 113 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2354 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3556 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4822 views