RA and WLS....which one is best?

marivdb
on 2/22/13 2:01 am

Hi...My Rheumatologist has recommended Weight loss surgery, and I have attended a seminar and had my initial consult with my surgeon.   My RD wants the band, the surgeon wants a RNY and I would prefer the sleeve.  Any thoughts from those of you who have had WLS and also have RA on which direction to go?  I currently take injectable Methortrexate and injectable Cimzia...but I don't want to rule out the options for oral meds again at some point if possible....

thanks in advance...Marianne

cguillen
on 3/8/13 6:32 am
VSG on 11/05/12 with

I had the sleeve and I am very happy with it!

I was diagnosed with RA in 2008, I began taking MTX pills and plaquenil back then.  I stopped taking the meds a month before surgery per drs orders and was told to begin taking them a month after. I had surgery in November, since then I have only taken MTX once and that was the end of November, I only took it because I was beginning to feel stiff but i haven't taken it since. I still take plaquenil. I am losing weight and feel good, I believe my diet has helped me stay away from MTX. I pretty much have a gluten free diet!

thinkpink91
on 3/11/13 12:20 pm - Calgary, Canada
RNY on 02/26/14

I also have RA and am taking injectable Methotrexate and plaquinel. I am currently in the process of getting my surgery but the plan is for me to get RNY.

The best thing to do is ask each doctor why they want you to have the specific procedure they want. I personally did a lot of research on all the procedures and almost immediately ruled out the band, so it came down to the sleeve and the RNY, one thing to really consider with RNY is the fact that you can no longer take NSAIDS. On all three surgeries you can take oral meds so that shouldn't be a problem that being said I think after you find out everything about the surgeries you should decide which one is right for you, don't be afraid to disagree with the surgeon or your Rheumatologist, speak up and advocate for yourself.

HilaryH8103
on 4/19/13 6:33 am - WA
I had the sleeve procedure 8 weeks ago, I love it & I'm doing great. I've lost 61 lbs. already. I was diagnosed with RA in April 2012 & Lymphedema. My rheumy put me on methotrexate, it didn't work. We tried Remicaid, Orencia & Rituxin, none of those infusions helped. I recently just started physical therapy, I get lymphatic massages, red light laser therapy, I wear compression socks every single day & I take 40 mg's of LASIK every day & I'm doing so much better. The compression socks & the LASIK alone helped me get rid of most of the water I carried, at least 30-35 lbs of water in my legs, mostly feet & ankles.
I started at 360 lbs, I'm down to 299 & I'm 5'11". I'm currently in a little bit of a stall but I don't mind them as much as other people seem to. Our bodies need a chance to catch up so sometimes they slow down. I wouldn't have gone with any other option than the gastric sleeve, I just knew what was right for me & I did months of research.

Best of Luck to you,

Hilary
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 111 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2348 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3551 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4818 views