Please help

s_anne
on 3/4/13 9:18 am

I am six weeks post op from VSG, weight loss is going well, arthritis control is not.  I am on Remicade with infusions every 6 weeks.  Per my surgeon's orders I cannot take NSAIDS.  My rheumatologist says to take Tylenol, which is worthless.  Has anyone tried any natural remedies or acupuncture?  Or does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?  I have been trying to exercise and the pain is getting too intense.

april4metoo
on 3/5/13 8:00 am
DS on 12/19/12

Hi there. I had a DS done at the end of December. I was also told I could not take NSAIDs. Some doctors say u cant and others say u can if u have the sleeve or DS...its split opinions there. I personally cant cuz it just messes with my stomach. Until I follow up with Rheumy all I have for pain is narcotics. Yes, Tylenol is junk when it comes to our joints. I have fibro too and since surgery I been with ZERO energy so exercise is out of the question. I however, started doing gentle yoga. Its not vigorous that it will exhaust me but enough to stretch out my joints and get some relief. I only do the poses I can tolerate and modify them with pillows where needed. Make sure u have clearance from doc before starting. There's all kinds of videos online and on youtube teaching how to yoga. I even started meditating when the pain is intense and it does help. It very refreshing and liberating! Hope u get some relief soon! :)

5'5"   HW/327   SW/314    CW/270    GW/140
Virgin DS on 12/19/12 - Dr. Michael Hill, NY

april4metoo
on 3/5/13 8:17 am
DS on 12/19/12

I forgot to tell u to look into supplements. Ask your doc if u can take Osteo-Biflex or a supplement with Collagen number 2. I know we already take lots of vits but after a while...what's one more? It becomes like second nature. I'm starting mine next week, hoping it will help!

5'5"   HW/327   SW/314    CW/270    GW/140
Virgin DS on 12/19/12 - Dr. Michael Hill, NY

booksgiver
on 3/22/13 9:11 am

Hi, I don't have any answers except to say that I've read a lot of conflicting information regarding the use of nsaids after having the sleeve.  Apparently some doctors do allow it.  I'm just completing my 6 month pre-surgery requirements by my insurance company, and expect to have surgery in late April or early May.  Like you I have severe pain from both osteoarthritis and FM, as well as RA.  I am not on any of the new treatments as my rheumatologist thought the risk was a bit high for me as I keep having recurring pneumonia.  I take diclofenac with misoprostol 3 times a day, and also hydrocodon-acetametaphin 3 times a day and still can barely walk only a few steps due to pain.  I weigh 300 and cannot have knee replacement until I lose weight.  It's a Catch 22 for a lot of us, I suppose, but I am very worried about pain management post surgery as I can't imagine functioning at all without the NSAIDS.  I'd appreciate any information you might have about this.  Thank you.

Marcmdiaz123
on 3/25/13 10:35 pm

Why don't you try  any joint replacements. there are no. of benefits are there please try this website: Joint replacements

cchdryder
on 5/20/13 9:59 am
VSG on 01/14/13

At my 1 mth follow up appt the surgeon said I could go back on the nsaids.  I take Arthrotec...easy on the stomach, as per the rheumy.....it deals with the hip pain.  My should started acting up in Dec & mri shows Osteo/tear/bone spurs...nothing touches this pain.

Referral: June 22, 2012  Orientation: July 16, 2012 HRRH Keele
Surgeon's appt: July 25th RD, SW & RN:
Aug 10, 2012 
Surgery:  Jan 14, 2013              

Ivypie44
on 7/18/13 10:01 am - OK

I just heard that honey mixed with some cinnamon reduces inflammation greatly! I am going to be trying it! I have also heard that honey is a very healing food. Even if one is diabetic it should not hurt you. I believe you can add it to your tea, etc daily! I will post it on here if it works for me. I have arthritis pretty bad with stiffness, etc. It's worth trying!     Ivypie44

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 111 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2348 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3551 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4818 views