Have VSG & Psoriatic Arthritis, looking at Revision WLS

2ndtimearound1234
on 4/29/13 9:53 am - Australia

Hello

How great to have a place where people with Arthritis and WLS can talk.

Anyway I had a VSG about 2 years ago in Australia. I take 5mg Prednisone, 200mg Celebrex, 1500mg Salazopyrin, Lamivudine (protects liver) and Enbrel injections weekly.

I have been discussing having Revision Surgery with my Surgeon as my weight loss has been very slow and I have put 10 kilograms back on over the last 3 months. My surgeon suggested having a Gastric Curve Plication as a Revision as he said this would be safer than a re sleeve and less risk of a leak. I would still get back to my original restriction and have a second chance at making the right decisions regarding my diet etc.  I was looking into a MGB but found out it was not sutiable for people who take NSAIDS. Then someone suggested the DS. So now I am wondering if after the Plication I will just be back in the same boat with lack of restriction and weight gain and whether I should consider the Duodenal Switch as I would get a better result.  My BMI is currently about 34. It would be great to hear from others who have had a similar experience or who have some insight. Thanks. :)

Rheumtolose
on 5/14/13 6:03 am - NV

omg- So I had the vsg in July 2012 and have rheumatoid arthritis.  I was on Enbrel, mtx, ssz, at the time although now I'm on Actemra infusions.  I had a revision and my surgeon thought also that the imbrication (plication) revision was the safest way to go.  Because of all the meds I cannot risk a DS because of immune suppression and mal absorption.

My revision was on May 3rd this year and I feel great.  I really feel the restriction this time where as I didn't before.  My presurgical weights etc are below. 

start 252

pre sleeve 235

lowest post sleeve 213

highest post sleeve 229 and rising

pre revision 229

this morning 216.5

So great to find you here- I'm from Auckland originally but have been in the US now since 1970.  Autoimmune and wls is difficult.  Wish you the best!

Cheers

cchdryder
on 5/20/13 9:39 am
VSG on 01/14/13

OMG..interesting to read   that Autoimmune and wls is difficult....have my vsg in Jan & have only lost 52 lbs.  Is there fact to support this?  I am now suffering with shoulder arthritis/tear/impingent which is restricting me from exercising.  Waiting to see an osteo surgeon...which can take months here in Canada.  Depression is starting...which feels like anger. 

Carol

Referral: June 22, 2012  Orientation: July 16, 2012 HRRH Keele
Surgeon's appt: July 25th RD, SW & RN:
Aug 10, 2012 
Surgery:  Jan 14, 2013              

MsBatt
on 6/27/13 7:24 am

I hope you've decided to give your Sleeve more of a chance to work. Starting out at the relatively 'light' weight of 276, with only 126 pounds to lose, you've already lost (well, as of your posting on 5/20) better than 40% of your excess weight---in only FOUR months!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 113 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2354 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3556 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4822 views