RNY and Severe arthritis vs rate of weight loss

Christine C.
on 7/17/13 7:53 am - Canada

One month ago, I underwent the RNY peocedure, however have severe arthritis in my hip and cannot exercise until I have a hip relpacement in late Fall. What can I expect in terms of weight loss as I am unable to increase my physical activity at this point.

mkvand
on 8/1/13 9:07 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

You can still lose a substantial amount of weight without exercise, and there are several posters *****ached goal with almost no exercise.  However, it will be harder to maintain the loss.  Also, you will recover better from joint replacement if you can strengthen the muscles around the joint before surgery.  Do you have a physical therapist to help you find exercises to help get you ready for surgery?  Not anything intense or weight bearing,or probably even aerobic, but targeted strengthening?  There are exercise programs for people who are chair bound.  I'd worry about muscle atrophy and having a much longer post-surgical recovery if you go from now until late fall with no activity.

mustlovepoodles
on 8/21/13 11:32 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Absolutely, look at PT!  I've had many joint injuries and PT is my go-to. Right now I'm in PT for the arthritis in my knees and feet. I was scheduled for knee arthroscopy and now, after about 8 weeks of PT the pain is much less Enough that I canceled the surgery!  Now, I'm not saying that you will be able to cancel your hip surgery, but it can only help if you have strengthen the muscles as much as you can. PT is designed to stretch and restore muscle tone. It should not hurt! I do a LOT of non-weight-bearing exercises and I am really surprised at the difference in my knees.

FinallyFit1
on 10/1/13 10:56 pm

Hi

I am in PT also for my knees, but they are really sore.  Can you give me a brief description of some of the exercises that you do and how many times per day.

Thanks

waynejohnson
on 12/16/13 5:08 pm

Gastrointestinal surgery for stoutness, likewise called bariatric surgery, changes the digestive process in order to attain fast weight reduction...Thanks

how to remove double chin | double chin exercises

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 111 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2348 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3551 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4818 views