Rheumatoid Arthritis

mspisces
on 5/20/04 3:30 pm - Somewhere, AL
is a big part of my life. I have had it since 1992. I had wls in feb 2004 and thought it would help my RA, but it has made the pain worse. I have been going to physical therapy for my knee and it is not helping but making things worse. I have lost 67 lbs since surgery and I am smaller, but the pain is unbearable at times. I exercise and walk and I have to make myself do these things. If I don't I get stiff and can't. I have taken all kinds of meds for RA and now I take Humira 40 mg shots every 2 weeks and I get a methotrexate shot every week. I take tylenol or darvocet for pain. I don't do pain meds as often because they will constipate. I took prednisone for 8 years almost and it did help with the pain a lot, but I can't take it since I had surgery cause it prevents the body from healing and breaks down tissue. Has anyone had any better relief since they had wls? Irish
Darlilly1313
on 5/29/04 3:58 pm - WV
Irish,I came to this forum to ask about ra after wls, My pcp seems to think that weight loss will help it.I hope that someone els posts with something positive.I was told that I would not be able to take pred, or vioxx after wls.I will pray for you.God bless. Dar
dchildress
on 6/1/04 3:00 pm - Covington, GA
I also suffer from Arthritis but not as bad as you hun. I hope they can find the right mix for your releif. I knew going into this that my pouch would be to small to ever take oral meds for my arthritis. I know if things do not improve I will be on pain meds again, and Lord I pray that will not happen. Most of my body is doing better, the knees, the arms, but the lower back can not decide weither or not it wants to ease up. Some days are far better than others. My surgeon has recomended that I continue to see my Chiropractor for some relief as I go though this loosing stage of my new transformation. I know I have not really helped you but just want to let you know that you have others that are thinking of you. Much Love.
Christine B.
on 6/7/04 5:39 am - Cincinnati, OH
I have RA also...I've had it for 5 years now.....I have tried Plaquenil...methotrexate..Vioxx..Celebrex.....now I also take Humira.....which has helped me so much with the pain and stiffness...RA ruined my left knee to the point I need a total knee replacement but cant get one till the weight comes off and the swelling in my legs go down....Im scheduled for surgery on July 15th...my biggest fear is being mobile after the surgery...I can barely walk now...I wonder does anyone have any sugestions on what I should do?..Ive heard about a greenfield filter but I am scared to death of that
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/04 11:35 am - Killeen, TX
Hello, I had to have greenfield vena cava filter inserted before my lapband surgery may 10th. It was a breeze. Its a day surgery procedure done in a cath lab type setting. They sedate you so you remember nothing and there was no pain for me. I felt a bit sore a beat up on the inside and had a sore up from laying on the table. I had the filter inserted to prevent me from having killer blood clots get to my heart, lungs or brain from my legs after my lapband surgery. So far it has worked and I have had no problems. My surgeon has stated in a year or so from now I can have it removed. I am undecided on this because I have bad vericose veins and a family history of people having strokes or clots go to the lungs. I think I will just keep it! Antoinette in TX banded 5-10-04 256/238/150
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/04 11:27 am - Killeen, TX
i have had RA, OA and fibro Diagnosis now for almost 3 yrs. I also have aggressive disease. I am on Enbrel 25mg twice weekly, MTX 17.5 mg weekly injections, Bextra 10mg daily, folic acid 5 mg, Leukovorin, prednisone 5mg daily, calcium, Vit D, magnesium, multi-vit, envening primrose oil, B complex vit, Nexium, reglan, and actigall. I had my lapband surgery May 10, 2004. I did not chose RNY because I have a lot of problems with folic acid, B-vit defi****ncy and anemia from the MTX(which is a chemo drug). Bypassing small bowel would only make the problem worst and also cause me to have problems absorbing my meds. I talked with my Surgeon and Rheummy about this. My rheummy was not helpful at all. He is not a support of WLS. My PCP was very supportive and agreed with all the problems I had with mouth, throat and eye sores as well as nausea, diarrhea and vomiting from MTX. RNY Was not for me. I have been wondering how RNY patients do with RA cause of malabsorption? Do you have to take more of you meds or adjust your dosages? I think for those of use with RA this medication absorption issue is one to be discussed in detail before surgery. I am also sure proximal, medial or distal RNY will also make major difference in how you absorb meds. Another lady suggested crushing meds and taking in apple sauce or yogurt so they are better absorbed for RNY patients. This might be worth a try for all meds that are not time released. I also take tylenol, ultram or darvocet for pain as needed. I rarely take anything stronger than the ultram. I had 4 weeks of no meds before and after surgery. I had a 4 week remission of no pain or swelling. It was great. Though with the terrible weather we have been having here in Texas my remission was short lived and I am back on all meds. I also had to have a greenfield vena cava filter inserted one week before my surgery and it was a breeze. Antoinette in TX banded 5-10-04 256/238/150
Becky Stark
on 7/2/04 5:04 am - Lake Havasu City, AZ
Remember that any kind of turmoil in your body can bring on a RA flareup. It sounds like that is what might have happened to you after your WLS. I had forgotten about that and I guess I should be prepared for that after my WLS. I too have RA as does my mother. My mom is severly deformed from RA and she has volunteered for many research projects. The most recent one was for Remicade. She went from being almost wheelchair bound and unable to to much of anything for herself to walking just fine and she lives alone with no one to do anything for her. Sure she has friends who stop by every day to check in on her and help her with big and heavy things and she can't open jars but she is doing great. Because of her sucess with Remicade (and because my body was not responding well to the normal RA meds) my Rheummy put me on Remicade last December. IT IS AMAZING! Remicade is a med that is infused by IV over a 2-3 hour session every 8 weeks or so. No pills, no self inflicted shots - YEAH. You do have to take Methotrexate when you are on Remicade but most of us already take that anyway - by the way Methotrexate can be given by shot too. Maybe Remicade would work for you too. Good Luck, I hope your flareup subsides soon. Becky
MsPatooti
on 8/12/04 1:24 am - Angleton, TX
Remicade is working WONDERS for my Psoriatic Arthritis. Any of you RA'ers that are not having success with your current treatment, please check into it. It IS expensive though, that is the only drawback. Robbi
nasta
on 8/26/04 1:37 am - Lantana, FL
Give the Humira and Methotrexate a chance. I was totally inmobile a year and a half ago from Ra and was approved to start Humira along with the methodextrate. After a year of the shots I was up to 99% of previous health. I was taken off the Humira and Methodextrate in an effort to get pregnant, now after unsuccesfully trying for 5 months I got some birthcontroll pills, got scheuled for LAP-band on sep 14 and two weeks later to Humira again. I am so glad of Humira Methodextrate combination, for 4 months after stopping it still kept me totally pain free, only in the last month has it crep back. My RA doctor is very supportive of me having the LAP-Band surgery. Hope the Humira will do for you what it did for me. ttfn Sari
jeannetteg
on 11/3/08 6:43 am - phoenix, AZ
hello, I am new to the site.  I am having the lap band or realize band Friday.  I still have not decided which one to chose.  I have Had RA for 6 years now.  It hit me hard when I was 29. One morning I woke up and could not walk.  I was in bed for almost two years and they did not know what was wrong with me for an entire year.  Once diagnosed, I felt better and feel lucky since there has been a new drug every year.  I have tried enbrel and that worked or a while. methotrexate was awful for me, prednisone, a big yuck and weight gain. ARAVA attacked my lungs and I had to have an emergency surgery. Humira and kineret, were not as good as enbrel.  I tried ozone therapy, and then Hydrogen Peroxide IVs worked very well for around two years.  I am on my second trip of Rituxan.  last year I had been taking plaquenil with it.  It was two infusions and six weeks later I had so much energy I did not know what to do with myself.  It was awsome.  This time I am not taking the plaquenil.   I have lots of energy and no pain, well none to complain about. 
I have lost 30 pounds on my own in the last 8 months and am looking forward to this surgery.  I know stress is awful for RA, fibro etc.  but hoping since it is under control I will be fine and be able to get the weight off and start walking and having more fun. 
would like to continue some support in this are and obviously decide in the next 3 days what band to use.  suggestions? 
I am in phoenix, 
ps I would have never spent this much time typing something if I was not feeling well.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 111 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2348 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3551 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4818 views