After WLS what arthritis meds do you take?

Michigan G.
on 10/1/04 2:52 am - Fruitport,, MI
I need an opinion as to what others do for their arthritis. I hope it gets better when I lose more weight but right now I am trying to walk and get in some exercise and my knees and an ankle are really terribly painful by the end of the day or even a 1/2 hour of walking. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. When can I do on Darvocet? thanks so much Terri Carlson
jmmurphy
on 10/1/04 5:50 am - Sandia, TX
Hi, Terri, I just went to my doctor yesterday for my preop and asked him the same question. I've been on Vioxx for years and I know there is a liquid form. But Vioxx just got pulled from the market yesterday. He said that about the only thing I'm left with is Tylenol. I'm not very happy because tylenol has never worked very well for me. Dr. McDaniel is looking into this for me. I have arthritis in my knees which should be helped by the weight loss, but I also have it in my hands and spine. Joanne
de
on 10/14/04 5:08 am - Flint, MI
HI Terri, I called Dr Schuhknecht and he said Celebrex, Vioxx or Bextra. I am currently taking Bextra. Its helping alot with the arthritis. Ask your dr about this one. Take care De
Stina
on 10/17/04 4:52 am - Saco, ME
It's funny how many different answers you can get from the different doctors. I think the best thing for you to do is to ask YOUR doctor. I'm pre-op and have surgery scheduled 11/8. This was one of my most important questions for my doc. He said I would only be able to take Tylenol for at least 6 months. Then maybe celebrex. I've tried both and neither one works for me. Therefore, I'm REALLY hoping that losing the weight will help me ALOT. I have a degenerative spine and hip. I had spine surgery a lil over two years ago and don't want anymore! Good Luck! Christine
mspisces
on 10/25/04 6:31 pm - Somewhere, AL
After wls my surgeon told me I could no longer take any NSAIDS for my RA so I just take the methotrexate injections and the humira injections every 2 weeks. I also take tylenol and darvocet for pain. I take zoloft also and it helps even. I took prednisone for almost 8 years and getting used to being without it is bad. I have constant pain and my mobility is not that good at times. Since wls I have a flare up every 9 to 10 days. Each one worse than the last. I went on darvocet right after wls.
Michigan G.
on 10/25/04 9:53 pm - Fruitport,, MI
Thanks. I am on Darvocet too, the results are only fair, depends on the kind of day I am having. I do walk, had to get a treadmill to make it possible as any unsteady ground makes me tippy so outdoors is difficult. I still walk slowly and have some pain even with the Darvocet and beginning weight loss. Some of the pain is not going to be helped by weight loss, like my hands and spine, but maybe the feet and knees will. i haven't heard of the injections and your flare ups sound miserable. Do you have rheumatoid arthritis? Terri
Sue O.
on 2/15/05 4:22 am - Brookfield, WI
I quit taking Motrin 2 weeks prior to surgery and was miserable. I tried Tylenol Arthritis and it worked OK. Post-op my surgeon told me I could go back to the motrin. I don't take as much as I did pre-op (I suspect there was a bit of a tolerance buildup there). I usually only take it once per day, around an hour before my workout. I'm not having any trouble tolerating the Motrin, no pouch problems that I can detect. Sue O.
Michigan G.
on 2/15/05 1:07 pm - Fruitport,, MI
I have gone to Darvocet now. I take it during the day and also before I walk. I walk on the treadmill at night. If I remember a couple or more doses I would rate my pain as less. I seem to need to an exercise to lose weight so keep on with it. I have heard water aerobics are comfortable for joints. I haven't started that yet, it is so much easier to walk at home. I have a bike, hard on knees too as well as one ankle is sore. My spine will hurt but not when I am walking, that happens with sitting. Arthritis is such a pervasive process, doesn't really go away but does get better with medication and exercise and weight loss. I am not on Motrin. Will ask my doctor about it. Please let is know how you do on it. Terri Carlson
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 113 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2354 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3556 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4822 views