What would you say are must haves for recovery?

merrymorris
on 4/18/12 4:30 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
So, I will admit it...I'm a princess. I like to be comfortable. What if anything made you super comfortable while recovery? Any must haves?
AundreaSmith
on 4/18/12 6:18 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Ice packs and ice water for me.  I also had my favorite PJ pants and a comfortable tshirt. 

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

beemerbeeper
on 4/18/12 6:34 am - AL
A back scratcher.  Saved my life in the hospital.  Used it to scratch under the inflating boots, and used it to move things to where I could reach them.  I wanted to use it to hit most of the nurses but somehow was able to refrain.

~Becky

nurse55
on 4/18/12 1:27 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Oh I wish there was a like button!!!!

highlyblessed1
on 4/20/12 4:09 am - AL
DS on 04/16/12
On April 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM Pacific Time, beemerbeeper wrote:
A back scratcher.  Saved my life in the hospital.  Used it to scratch under the inflating boots, and used it to move things to where I could reach them.  I wanted to use it to hit most of the nurses but somehow was able to refrain.

~Becky
 I occur. Wish I had one in the hospital. I had an allergic reaction to pain meds and scratched for two days and those inflatable boots are the worse. Luckily my DH was a great caretaker, never left my side and scratched whenever I asked.
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/12 6:56 am
Ear plugs or headphones for the hospital in the event you get a loud room mate (I did...ugh).

At home?  Recliner.  It was my saving grace.
AllieInOntario
on 4/18/12 7:45 am
Wet wipes.   Yep, started my period the morning of the surgery. *grrr*   So def wet wipes.  

And a body pillow.  I loved my cheapo from Walmart, brought it with me and was glad to have it when my back twinged and I needed to be propped up leaning to one side or the other.  (I got something called diaphragm paralysis from the stuff they shoot in you if you're being done LAPO.)  Felt like a knife through my ribs and back for about 2 weeks.  Remembering back, that pain was worse than any pain I had from any of the actual surg.  Go figure.  So yeah, a body pillow.. also great for hugging when you feel a little down or just crappy too :)  Cheers :)
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

NoreenRT
on 4/18/12 10:22 am - Warner Robins, GA
chap stick and my i -pod. 

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

meredith_123
on 4/18/12 11:40 am - Waterford, MI
I think most important that first week was taking my pain meds on a schedule.  If I went to long without them, it hurt alot.  As long as you stay on top of taking them, it really make it much more comfy. 

Lots of pillows, I slept on the couch for about a month with 4 pillows to stay comfy.  And since my 4 year old ends up in my bed every night - to avoid getting bumped.
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
merrymorris
on 4/19/12 6:10 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Great ideas, everyone!! Thanks!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 678 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom